Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [1] , given: 36

People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago, [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:42) correct 33% (00:54) wrong based on 146 sessions
People lets discuss !

More than twenty-one centuries ago, the Han dynasty unified China, subduing warring tribes and forced the vast territory to adopt a single code of laws.

(A) subduing warring tribes and forced

(B) subduing warring tribes and forcing

(C) subdued warring tribes, and forcing

(D) subdued warring tribes, and it forced

(E) having subdued warring tribes, and they forced

Which one and why? Please explain.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 16

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 00:37
nusmavrik wrote:
People lets discuss !

More than twenty-one centuries ago, the Han dynasty unified China, subduing warring tribes and forced the vast territory to adopt a single code of laws.

(A) subduing warring tribes and forced

(B) subduing warring tribes and forcing : looks little awkward

(C) subdued warring tribes, and forcing

(D) subdued warring tribes, and it forced

(E) having subdued warring tribes, and they forced

Which one and why? Please explain.

Confused between A and C.. If i use the rule that coordinating conjunction and should be preceded by , then i go with C else A looks better as it explains how the Han dynasty unified China so the verb should be in participle form i.e. Subduing and not Past as subdued...

i might b wrong but just giving it a try...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 01:49
This is a modifier question.
Very first is to understand the structure of the sentense. In the clause we say "Han dynasty unified China". If you concentrate on the two parts "sudsiding ... " and "forced ...." both of these actions are exactly what Han Dynasty did to unite China. So ideally, these should fit as modifiers for the same action.
..... the Han dynasty unified China, subduing ... and forcing ....
The above is a very direct explanation. But there are flaws in the other options too. But major clue for me is what I explained above.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 39

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 08:52
These types of questions are really tricky for me as well. Its can be tough to understand the flow of the sentence.

So far I think either:
(1)
The han dynasty unified China
(a) by subduing warring tribes
(b) by forcing the vast territory to adopt a single code...

or(2)

The han dynasty unified China
(a) by subduing warring tribes
And forced the vast territory to adopt a single code...

I'm leaning toward example (1) which would be answer choice B.
I think for example (2) to be correct "by subduing warring tribes" would have to be in in commas.
But i'm still not 100% sure. Whats the OA?
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 09:30
Hey mailnavin1
Can you please elaborate your answer?

mailnavin1 wrote:
STRONGLY A

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 18:43
The answer is ................. B

Its simple parallelism :-D Han dynasty is the subject and main verb is unified. "subduing" and "forcing" modifies the clause "Han dynasty unified China". If China would have been the subject then A is correct.

You can compare this SC to following SC - where the subject is "local times"
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing

Sorry if I changed the thought process by the words "tricky". But I want to be 100% sure on the explanation.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 16

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 00:31
nusmavrik wrote:
The answer is ................. B

Its simple parallelism :-D Han dynasty is the subject and main verb is unified. "subduing" and "forcing" modifies the clause "Han dynasty unified China". If China would have been the subject then A is correct.

You can compare this SC to following SC - where the subject is "local times"
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing

Sorry if I changed the thought process by the words "tricky". But I want to be 100% sure on the explanation.

Nice Question nusmavrik... it was simple parallelism but your Subject the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! forced me to give it a second thought..

Thanks once again for the Q..
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 08:52
I narrowed it to A and B but A does not make sense. Hence chose B.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 23:29
Went for B ...glad that it turned out to be OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Han - the answer is tricky, it not simple parallelism ! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 23:32
above explanation was perfect ..............but I used logic instead of Grammar .....In A it was trying to explain that China was ruled , subdued and unified ......

But B tells how China was ruled by Hans .............felt that logically B is making sense .....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago, [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 05:43
This is a very typical GMAT question .. in which they put in a modifier between and... thereby confusing between the parallel structure. One must closely look at the meaning intended and hence, A should be the right answer!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3663 [1] , given: 185

Re: People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago, [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pavanpuneet wrote:
This is a very typical GMAT question .. in which they put in a modifier between and... thereby confusing between the parallel structure. One must closely look at the meaning intended and hence, A should be the right answer!

Hi there,

Another very good example of a sentence where meaning plays a crucial role. If we don’t understand the meaning well, most likely we will mark the incorrect answer choice. So let’s begin the meaning analysis.

The sentence says that twenty-one centuries ago, the Han dynasty unified China. So how did they do so? They did so by subduing warring tribes. Then the sentence says that the Han dynasty “forced” the vast territory to adopt a single code of laws. If the Han rulers forced everyone to adopt single code of laws, isn’t that a move towards unifying China? Yes, it is. So the Han dynasty unified China by:
a. subduing warring tribes and
b. forcing the vast territory to adopt a single code of laws.

ERROR ANALYSIS

With this understanding of meaning, it is easy to spot that verb “forced” should be turned into a verb-ing modifier “forcing” to make it parallel to “subduing”. In that case, both the modifiers will present how the Han dynasty unified China.

POE:

(A) subduing warring tribes and forced: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

(B) subduing warring tribes and forcing: Correct. “forcing” is now parallel to “subduing”.

(C) subdued warring tribes, and forcing: Incorrect. This choice changes verb-ing modifier “subduing” to verb “subdued” which is now parallel to “unified”. “and” is the indicator of a parallel list in the sentence. However, the last entity followed by “and”, “forcing” is not parallel to the other two entities. Also, this is not the intended list.

(D) subdued warring tribes, and it forced: Incorrect. Presence of “it” is incorrect here. If there were no “it”, then all the entities would be parallel. However, this is not the intended list anyway.

(E) having subdued warring tribes, and they forced: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “they” does not agree in number with its singular antecedent “Han dynasty”.

At e-gmat we cover in details how to identify the correct parallel list and how to make the list parallel in the sentence in the concepts names “Parallelism – Identify and Correct” and “Parallelism – Helpful Tips”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago, [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 09:09
+1 for (B)
POE works, other other (B) nothing is suitably parallel.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago, [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 19:29
in the following, oa is E.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, //which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing// from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Bu I see A is also parallel and correct because

which was :
determined
and
differing.

inhere, "determined" is parallel to " differing" and A is correct

A can be INcorrect becuase the distance between " determined" and "differing" is far and we need to repeat "which was" before "differing" . If this was the case, A is wrong becuase of "style" problem not of parallel problem.

Pls, comment, confirm.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3663 [0], given: 185

Re: People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago, [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 06:49
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
in the following, oa is E.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, //which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing// from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Bu I see A is also parallel and correct because

which was :
determined
and
differing.

inhere, "determined" is parallel to " differing" and A is correct

A can be INcorrect becuase the distance between " determined" and "differing" is far and we need to repeat "which was" before "differing" . If this was the case, A is wrong becuase of "style" problem not of parallel problem.

Pls, comment, confirm.

Hi there,

This sentence presents a couple of information about “local times”. They were
a. determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and
b. differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

In the original sentence, the first information is presented, using “which” clause, but the second information does not start with which. Now, this is certainly a parallelism issue. In the parallel list, all the entities must have same construction as far as possible.

Now, presence of “was” makes “determined” a verb. However, in absence of “which was” before it, “differing” is still a verb-ing modifier. So a “which clause” cannot be parallel to a verb-ing modifier. We certainly have parallelism issue here.

Again, if we assume that “which was” is understood before “differing”, then we have the first information about the “local times” in simple present tense – “was determined” – and second information in past continuous tense – “was differing”. Why should this be the case? Both the information should be written in simple past tense because the sentence is giving general information about “local times”. Hence, we certainly have parallelism issue here.

We cannot say that this error is stylistic because “which was” is far away from “differing”. We saw the possible implications of "which was" in the sentence.

Also notice that “local times” is plural and “was” is singular verb. So we have subject-verb number agreement error as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: People lets discuss ! More than twenty-one centuries ago,   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2012, 06:49