Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Modifiersx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [107]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [37]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [24]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [3]
Send PM
Re: Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer is B.

"which" clearly refers to the weather which was "slowing" the sales during the month.

I remember this from the OG (Hope I remembered the answer and reason right!)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [3]
Send PM
Re: Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
bravo to all!!!! B is OA
Explanation is : It is concise and idiomatic, and which has a clear referent, the weather. In A, the insertion of was is unnecessary, and the referent of which is not clear because regions, not weather, is the nearest noun. In C, the adjective usual is needed in place of the adverb usually, and the referent of which is unclear because regions, not weather, is the nearest noun. In D and E, the verb phrase( being colder..., having been colder...) do not refer as clearly to the noun weather as the pronoun which does. Choice D needs the adjective usual in place of the adverb usually, which choice E fails to maintain parallelism in verb tense( having been ...and slowed).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
[quote="laxieqv"]Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

A. colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
Which modifies Regions.

B. which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
I go for B.

C. since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
Usually is incorrect.

D. being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
Usually is unidiomatic

E. having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed
Wordy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO B

Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
(A) colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed --> colder and wetter here will incorrectly modify for retail sales rather than weather. which after the commas also wrongly modifies for regions, meaning that regions slowed the sales
(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing -->which best modifies for weather. Slowing ... also correctly modifies for unexciting merchandise
(C) since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed --> itdoes not clearly modify for any Noun. Besides, same error as A
(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing -->being is mostly wrong, usually is also wrong used
(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed -->complicated structure, distorted original meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
kt00381n wrote:
Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
(A) colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
(C) since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed

Hi,

I know the correct answer is B, but my understanding is that "slowing..." as a participial phrase modifies the entire main clause - "Analysts blamed...". Meaning analysts blame is the reason for slowing of sales. Or, is the participial phrase selectively modifying a part of the main clause? If so, could you please help me in a systemic way of identifying the noun modified by the participial phrase.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi,

I know the correct answer is B, but my understanding is that "slowing..." as a participial phrase modifies the entire main clause - "Analysts blamed...". Meaning analysts blame is the reason for slowing of sales. Or, is the participial phrase selectively modifying a part of the main clause? If so, could you please help me in a systemic way of identifying the noun modified by the participial phrase.

Thanks.

"which (the weather) was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing"

"slowing" refers to the weather, not to the analysts. How could analysts slow sales of barbecue grills?

Generally speaking the ING form can be found in two ways:
1)COMMA + -ING, in this case it modifies the preceding clause (it is used to show the results of an action as in this case most of the times)
2)"ONLY" -ING, in this case modifies the preceding noun or noun phrase.

Both ing forms refers to the preceding clause/name. Hope it's clear
Intern
Intern
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The concept of the present participle (verb+ing) modifying with or without the comma preceding it has the following significance IMO. Of course, as Zorralou has rightly said, without the comma, there is not much confusion, as it forthrightly modifies the preceding noun.
But in the case of the comma preceding, we all know it modifies the entire preceding clause. What exactly is meant by the preceding clause? Some have said it is the subject, some others say it is the verb because it is an adverbial modifier. May be they are correct in their own right. But more importantly, and very often, it highlights the gist of the entire preceding clause and not just a part of it.
Let’s see how in this given case; Now, slowing is the participle under question. Something has caused the slowing. Is it the weather alone or the unexciting merchandise alone or both put together? You will appreciate it is both together that have contributed to the slowing. Logically analysts cannot contend for being modified as, their job is just to pass appropriate comments. So the modified parts are really the merchandise and the weather put together, both noun forms objects of the verb blamed; so, the whole gist is about the result of some things impeding something collectively in the context.

In the light of the above, we have to dump all the choices that pinpoint something with a relative pronoun, (which) Choices A and C fall under this category. Choice E uses the verb –slowed- as an action of the noun weather, which is a fractured meaning from the original intent.
Between B and D, both use the verb+ ing preceded by a comma. But the use of ‘being’ colder and wetter in D is unnecessarily superfluous; being used as a modifier of weather, is not acceptable; B even without the word being is crisp and tidy.
So B overrides D.

Ok, IMO, If the participial phrase is at the beginning of a sentence set off by a comma then there is no confusion as it modifies the subject of the following clause. Problem is when participial phrase is at the end of a sentence set off my by a comma. Just one additional question, If a participial phrase comes in the middle of a sentence set off by commas, will it modify the preceding clause or the subject of a following clause: I may not have an appropriate example here, please help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
As I see the issue, as long as it does not start a sentence, the present participial, whether in the middle or at the end of a sentences, should fall in line with modifying the entire gist.
EG: The tribal of the pre-agro era who knew no other means of food preparation, hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds, resorted to controlled fires for cooking their staple diet.
Here the modifier - hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds-placed in the middle modifies not only the tribal but also their lack of knowledge of other means of food preparation. You might call it a noun phrase, but that modified part should carry the gist of the clause or phrase in toto.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
daagh wrote:
As I see the issue, as long as it does not start a sentence, the present participial, whether in the middle or at the end of a sentences, should fall in line with modifying the entire gist.
EG: The tribal of the pre-agro era who knew no other means of food preparation, hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds, resorted to controlled fires for cooking their staple diet.
Here the modifier - hunting and eating the docile animals of the wild such as the cattle and other quadrupeds-placed in the middle modifies not only the tribal but also their lack of knowledge of other means of food preparation. You might call it a noun phrase, but that modified part should carry the gist of the clause or phrase in toto.

My Question had one more point. Does "hunting and eatin....." always modifies "The tribal" or it can also modify "resorted to controll....". It may not make sense here.
Putting it in general, does participial phrase in the middle of a sentence modifies the preceding clause or a following clause? Getting my point? Because, I have seen examples( i don't have them now) where participial phrase modifies the following clause. Is there a standard rule? Or is it case dependent?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It may not be a general rule since many rules can bend to the need of the context in question. Here in this case, how can hunting animals in the wild modify -resorted to controlled fire. Both are totally different factors. But if you have seen some examples where a middle-sentence modifier modifies what comes what after, then we have to definitively see the context. Even before seeing the premises, how can we formulate the conclusion? Modification means a definite change in the nature of the thing modified, either in the form of additional info, or leading to an outcome from the facts mentioned etc etc; modification isn't just indication. It is inter-relation.

I do see, my professments may have lot of contrarian happenings. I am interested in knowing them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
A. colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed Wrong - "which slowed" cannot modify regions because it modifies the entire clause prior; it's an adverbial modifier

B. which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing Correct - comparison is okay, since "[weather] was colder and wetter than usual [weather]"; words can be omitted if understood

C. since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed Wrong - "which slowed" cannot modify regions because it modifies the entire clause prior; it's an adverbial modifier; "usually" is an adverb and cannot modify noun "weather"

D. being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing Wrong - "being" is not used correctly; "usually" is an adverb and cannot modify noun "weather"

E. having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed Wrong - participle phrase "having been" changes the meaning of the sentence because "having been" can describe the verb as well as the entire clause

B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hello
sayantanc2k and
mikemcgarry

Please help, I have three doubts related to usage of which:
1) As in option A. can 'which' jump over a modifier phrase to modify a preceding noun? For instance, in option A. can which jump over the modifying phrase - 'colder and wetter than was usual in some regions' to modify 'weather'? If not in this sentence, do we ever get to see such a usage of 'which' from GMAT perspective?

2) Is 'slowing' in option B modifying the entire previous clause - 'which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions' or is it modifying 'weather'? Going by the rule that a verb-ing modifier, when used after a comma, attaches itself to the complete clause preceding the comma, I feel that 'slowing' is modifying the previous clause by attaching itself to 'which', and because 'which' further modifies 'weather', it gives a correct meaning.

3) Lastly, do you see 'slowing' in option B as a verb-ing modifier with comma? or a verb-ing modifier without a comma (as commas are actually used for the preceding modifier clause and we can omit the clause and sentence would still make sense --> Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather *omit* slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture. ? By this , my intention is to understand if you see 'slowing' as a modifier to 'weather' used without a comma or as a modifier for previous dependent clause used with a comma.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Norgay wrote:
Hello
sayantanc2k and
mikemcgarry

Please help, I have three doubts related to usage of which:
1) As in option A. can 'which' jump over a modifier phrase to modify a preceding noun? For instance, in option A. can which jump over the modifying phrase - 'colder and wetter than was usual in some regions' to modify 'weather'? If not in this sentence, do we ever get to see such a usage of 'which' from GMAT perspective?

2) Is 'slowing' in option B modifying the entire previous clause - 'which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions' or is it modifying 'weather'? Going by the rule that a verb-ing modifier, when used after a comma, attaches itself to the complete clause preceding the comma, I feel that 'slowing' is modifying the previous clause by attaching itself to 'which', and because 'which' further modifies 'weather', it gives a correct meaning.

3) Lastly, do you see 'slowing' in option B as a verb-ing modifier with comma? or a verb-ing modifier without a comma (as commas are actually used for the preceding modifier clause and we can omit the clause and sentence would still make sense --> Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather *omit* slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture. ? By this , my intention is to understand if you see 'slowing' as a modifier to 'weather' used without a comma or as a modifier for previous dependent clause used with a comma.

Dear Norgay,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Thank you for writing such a thoughtful question. :-)

1) A "which" modifier can "jump over" a vital noun-modifier, which takes precedent over a "which" phrase. Here, in (A), the intervening phrase is not vital.

2) My friend, the terminology "verb-ing modifier" is sloppy and imprecise: please learn the word participle. In option (B), the participle "slowing" modifies the action of the previous "which" clause. My friend, be highly suspicious about any "rule" about participles. Participles are incredibly flexible and can modify in an astonishing variety of ways. Any "rule" about them is virtually worthless.

3) Because the participle "slowing" is modifying the action of the previous phrase, it is acting as a verb-modifier, not a noun-modifier. Only noun-modifiers are subject to the Modifier Touch Rule. Verb modifiers are considerably freer in their placement.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
daagh mikemcgarry Sir, Although I do understand that B is the correct answer choice, I have couple of queries regarding the usage of "slowing", in particular, as follows:

1)How to determine whether "slowing" is a verb-ing modifier without a comma modifying the noun,"weather", from the main clause?
2)How to determine whether "slowing" is acting as a verb-ing modifier with a comma to modify the action in either the main clause or the relative clause?
("Analysts blame...." or "...was colder....")

(Reason for confusion: As per my understanding,slowing can be used to modify either the action in the main clause/relative clause or the noun "weather" and each type of modification is presenting a relevant meaning)

Please share your views.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos