Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+??? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 03:26
Can anybody clarify the following:
What percantage of practice questions (from OG11 or other sources) should anyone constantly get right to score 720+ without/before starting to practice e-tests?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+??? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 04:08
Vlad77 wrote:
Can anybody clarify the following:
What percantage of practice questions (from OG11 or other sources) should anyone constantly get right to score 720+ without/before starting to practice e-tests?

In my opinion, this depends on the individual.
I get 9/10 SC correct in the OG11 but on both GMATPrep practice tests, I got about 1/2 the SC questions wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+??? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 05:20
Have you taken the test?
CookieMonster wrote:
I get 9/10 SC correct in the OG11 but on both GMATPrep practice tests, I got about 1/2 the SC questions wrong.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 08:37
Forget about number of questions right. Concentrate more on the Q/V split. In order for you to get a 720+ you're going to need to excel in both sections. If you can get to 99th% on one section, that will make it all the more easier.

But remember, if you want 720+ you will need to score at least in the 80th percentile for both sections. The possible exception is when you score in the 99th% in the verbal and something like a 75th% in Quant. Take a look in the Shared Experience section for score breakdowns.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 08:57
But percentiles as I understand show how many people (persantage) answerd wrong and right on the same pool of questions. And there is not direct correlation between how many answers you get right or wrong (it is a comprehensive GMAT's algorithm). I just want those who may be past the actual or preliminary e-tests to share how many questions (persantage) they answered right before they took the tests and got 720+.

kidderek wrote:
Forget about number of questions right. Concentrate more on the Q/V split. In order for you to get a 720+ you're going to need to excel in both sections. If you can get to 99th% on one section, that will make it all the more easier.

But remember, if you want 720+ you will need to score at least in the 80th percentile for both sections. The possible exception is when you score in the 99th% in the verbal and something like a 75th% in Quant. Take a look in the Shared Experience section for score breakdowns.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 09:18
Vlad - I doubt anyone will recall, as the method of measurement is not good for reaching the conclusion required.

The percentiles are not on the same pool of questions - they are weighted individually and give the answeror a rank (say UP if correct, DOWN if wrong) and eventually it pegs a level against you.

The safest measure is that GMAT is on computers for a good reason.

Besides, you are unlikely to know when you were wrong on the test. So it is arbitrary. I would aim for 100% correct, as test conditions (be it practice, or more so in reality) will get to you. Like - the verbal is properly after 1hrs essays and 70 min maths. I doubt it is when you sit and do OG, I doubt it is when you use the Prep software.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+??? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 09:24
Vlad77 wrote:
Have you taken the test?
CookieMonster wrote:

friday
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 10:24
Vlad77 wrote:
But percentiles as I understand show how many people (persantage) answerd wrong and right on the same pool of questions. And there is not direct correlation between how many answers you get right or wrong (it is a comprehensive GMAT's algorithm). I just want those who may be past the actual or preliminary e-tests to share how many questions (persantage) they answered right before they took the tests and got 720+.

Yes that is true. I used percentile and raw score interchangeably. The raw score gives you an idea of where you are in your performance. Aim to get to a level that you are comfortable with and can attain. When you figure that out, you can not only predict your score, but know where you need to improve to get to 720+
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 10:51
One person might get 70% of questions correct and score a 700, another person may score 70% of questions correct and score a 730. It all depends on the order of questions, and which ones you get wrong (i.e., missing difficult questions doesn't hurt you as much as missing easy questions).

Nobody really understands the scoring algorithm (other than the GMAC people).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 07:50
Thank you for responses!!! If someone wants to add smth do not hesitate to do it :lol: !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+??? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 10:23
CookieMonster wrote:
Vlad77 wrote:
Have you taken the test?
CookieMonster wrote:

friday

Already taken it or this friday?

If this friday - good luck, I am sure you will rock it.

My biggest piece of advice is to be careful on the easy questions you know you should be getting right - if you get those wrong they will hurt you more then getting a really tough question wrong.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+??? [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:54
This is from the old GMATs (before it went CAT):

Average GMAT Scores

Average GMAT scores always vary from year to year. If you are interested in learning more about average GMAT scores, contact the admissions office at your school(s) of choice. They will be able to tell you what the average GMAT score is based on the scores of their applicants. This will give you something to shoot for when you take the GMAT. The GMAT scores shown below can also give you an idea of what the average score is based on percentiles.
96-99th percentile- 720
79-90th percentile- 630
61-75th percentile- 570
37-50th percentile- 500

The CAT means you can miss 1/2, but if one is testing you at a 780 level question and you miss and it spits out a 750 question next and you get that right...then you literally can do that all test long and wind up with a score over a 750 and below a 780. I'd advise that you take the OLD exams on paper and see how you do....that will give you an idea of the range. That or find 700+ level questions and see how easily you answer those (if too hard then do 650 and 600+ level questions and see how you do).
Re: Percentage of questions to get right to score 720+???   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2013, 04:54