Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31898 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: permutation [#permalink]
can anybody explain this in little detail?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The solution here depends on whether a single person can have more than one ball.

If any given person can have more than one ball, I have no idea how to solve that. The combinations are almost limitless.

If each person can have only one ball max, meatdumpling's answer is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
If each person can have 0, 1 or more balls, the choice is on the balls i.e. Ball #1 has 9 choices (each guy), Ball #2 has 9 choices too (the same guys), this holds true for the remaining balls.
Therefore the total numbers of ways in which 7 balls can be distributed amongst 9 persons is 9*9*9*9*9*9*9 = 9^7
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
but if we take each man can take any of seven balls ans wud be 7^9

This is not true because a ball can't belong to two or more persons, only one. I think the statement needs a better explanation of what "distribute" means. It can mean that each person can take only one ball, or that each person can take more than one balls. It can also mean that balls can be left without a person assigned or that each ball must have a person assigned.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Send PM
Ummm, I still think my 36 is a better answer than these exponents you're throwing out
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a basic permutation question where I need some help in getting to the answer fairly quickly.
Question: If P(n,3) = 210 , find value of n?

So here is what I am doing: n!/(n-3)! = 210
n x (n-1) x (n-2) = 210

I know the answer should be 7 x 6 x 5, but what's the easiest way to split 210 and get to value of n? More importantly how do you know it's 7,6&5? Any help is appreciated.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
There is confusion here as the question is being interpreted in ways not mentioned in the question. Be careful.

You use 7^9 if: each person can pick one of those 7 ball types and those types can be repeated. An analogy would be a slot machine with 7 items and 9 slots. A red ball showing in slot #1 may or may not show up in slot #5. Here you would use 7^9 or 40+million

You use 9C7 (9 choose 7 for COMBINATIONS) if: each person can pick one of those 7 balls --each person can only have maximum one ball. The formula is 9! / ((9-7)! 7!)= 36

You use 9P7 (9 pick 7 for PERMUTATIONS) if: each person can pick one of those 7 balls and each of those 7 balls were a different color. In a combination, the following is considered one combination: the first 7 guys have a ball but the last two don't. But In a PERMUTATION, this single order could translate into a bunch of permutations with the different colored balls. The first 7 guys still have the balls and the last two don't. Same scenario. Except now these first 7 guys can form a bunch of different color combinations in different orders. #1 can have white ball, #2 can have red ball, etc; and then #1 can have red ball and #2 can have white ball, etc. In this case, the formula is: 9! / (9-7)! = 181,440 (a very large number)

So you can see there's 3 ways to look at this question. Be careful on variations/combinations/permutations.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Gladius77 wrote:
I have a basic permutation question where I need some help in getting to the answer fairly quickly.

n x (n-1) x (n-2) = 210

I know the answer should be 7 x 6 x 5, but what's the easiest way to split 210 and get to value of n? More importantly how do you know it's 7,6&5? Any help is appreciated.

So basically the "3" tells you how many terms you need to multiply because the rest of the terms cancel out.
For example, if you picked 8, then you would test 8*7*6.
If you picked 7, then you would test 7*6*5.

The reason you do this is because the 4! from (7-3)! on the denominator cancels out with the 4! inside the 7! on the numerator. SO you're left with the numbers between 7 and 4--which are 7*6*5.

So basically you do guess and check. Try 5*4*3---if it's too low, then try 8*7*6. If that's too low, then try 7*6*5 and you'll get 210.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatpill wrote:
Gladius77 wrote:

n x (n-1) x (n-2) = 210

So basically the "3" tells you how many terms you need to multiply because the rest of the terms cancel out.
For example, if you picked 8, then you would test 8*7*6.
If you picked 7, then you would test 7*6*5.

The reason you do this is because the 4! from (7-3)! on the denominator cancels out with the 4! inside the 7! on the numerator. SO you're left with the numbers between 7 and 4--which are 7*6*5.

So basically you do guess and check. Try 5*4*3---if it's too low, then try 8*7*6. If that's too low, then try 7*6*5 and you'll get 210.

Thanks for your reply. I see what you mean about guessing. So let's say we try another similar question -

Question: If P (m+n,4) = 3024 and P(m-n,4) =120, find m & n? How would you attack this problem? Is there any non-guessing way of deriving the solution?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hi can any1 recomment combinatorics & probability concept books for GMAT apart from MGMAT....

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts