Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Permutations and combinations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Permutations and combinations [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 19:06
I know that every question counts on the GMAT, but lately I've been thinking that maybe it's not the end of the world to not be 100% rock solid on these topics.

How many questions can there possibly be on them? Tops, two, and the first one will probably be around question 8-12 when the algo is still determining what your skill level is, and the other one will be towards the end of the quant section. This is a total guess, but it makes sense. Not to mention that one could be a DS.

I will be taking my GMAT a week from today and I'm trying to stay positive. I've been scoring around a 40-44 on the quant on PR, GMATPrep, and PowerPrep full length practice tests, and this is all without a firm grasp on perm/comb, and I'm not a quant at all.

I have, however, spent the last three months practicing for this exam, with 85% of the time devoted to learning the GMAT math tendencies. In all of my studying, perm/comb has really not appeared that much at all, but it seems to be a major worry to all. I just read a recent post where a guy says that he took a prep course where one whole class was devoted to it!

My strategy is this: I'm taking the test next Friday afternoon. Thursday night, I'm going to memorize the n! formulas, and write down as many sample problems on index cards. On Friday morning, I will go over them again, along with the rest of my notes.

I know I'm not a quant, and there's no chance of me getting a 51. However, I feel strongly that I can get a low to mid 40 score without this skill firmly grasped. Am I crazy?

My point is this...why get all worked up about what will most likely amount to one or two problems? Like many of you, I work full time, so I have enough going through my mind during the day to sufficiently exhaust me at night, which is my GMAT study time. I, unfortunately, do not have the same brain power that I once had (too much drinking?), so I just don't feel that wasting a lot of time trying to master a confusing concept is worth it, when there are 35-36 other questions that are equally important to understand!!

Thoughts?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Permutations and combinations   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2006, 19:06