Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Personal Activities on Resume?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 20:11
I read in the knowledge vault that personal activities (such as hobbies, sports, etc.) are common on an applicant's resume. Is this true? It seems a bit odd to talk about personal hobbies in this perspective. Right now I have mine listed as cooking, hiking/running, restoring a car (more specific), and golfing...do I add value by having these on my resume?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 21:18
I think it's an effective use of a line at the bottom of your resume. It will be a good conversation piece and believe me, your interview will go very smoothly if you can spend 1/2 of it talking about your hobbies. The ones you listed are pretty common, so they won't do much to distinguish you, but it will be likely that you will encounter people who are into the same things.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 03:29
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 03:49
Yes, that's the same advice I got - to add it because it acts as a conversation starter during an interview. It doesn't have to be that you climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro - just your regular everyday hobbies and interests.
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 04:10
Sounds good!

What's the typical "headline" for that section that includes both community and hobbies? I've seen Other Data, Activities, and Interests.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 04:43
As I had mentioned in the Tuck thread, on my resume I mentioned the social meet-up that I co-founded and 1/3 of my Tuck interview was spent talking about it. The interviewer found it soooooo interesting and would not drop it.

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 06:27
Hmmm...I hadn't really seriously thought about putting hobbies and activities on my resume. I guess I'll go ahead and add a line about that.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 12:53
pelihu wrote:
I think it's an effective use of a line at the bottom of your resume. It will be a good conversation piece and believe me, your interview will go very smoothly if you can spend 1/2 of it talking about your hobbies. The ones you listed are pretty common, so they won't do much to distinguish you, but it will be likely that you will encounter people who are into the same things.

I concur with pelihu. Speaking from personal experience (at least on the job front), in 3/4 of my interviews for my current role, we spent a good proportion of the interview discussing my "interests." To be clear, the interests that I list on my ressy are 1) intentionally not mundane or common interests (e.g., cooking, traveling, camping - I'm not saying these aren't cool activities, but for resume purposes they are boring) and 2) are not my (most) favorite interests. The items that I include are purposely eyebrow raisers and attention grabbers intended to spark conversation. Listing items such as cooking or traveling are a waste of ink, in my opinion. However, if you say "visited 36 countries" or "back to back Santa Barbara chili cook-off winner 2006-2007" or something more colorful and engaging, those may work better.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 02:35
it takes only ONE line and will often be a huge factor in your interviews if your interviewer shares the same hobby. Our career advisor just stressed the importance of that one line at our resume workshop earlier this week. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Personal Activities on Resume? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 22:52
My additionals take up 6 lines altogether. It's usually been one of the parts people ask me about during interviews.
Although i also put down where I've lived (country-wise), professional qualifications and my language capabilities in the additionals. So actual hobbies take up 3 lines. But i use them to try to show diversity in industry knowledge.. in my case, i list my experiences and achievements in the games and music industries.
Re: Personal Activities on Resume?   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2008, 22:52