Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can you please give me your insight here?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Can you please give me your insight here? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 13:32
Can you please help me with this a little bit.
Hi can you please let me know if I have a good chance for the schools I am looking for:

GMAT: 680 (42Q, 40V, 5.5 AWA)

GPA: 3.4 (transferred from Junior College)-
Graduated with 3.23 (Babson College- one semester I had a 2.67 because of a member of my family was kidnapped)

W/E: 2 years experience
Auditor at a Big 4
Acting senior in my second year

Extra curricular: Started an ESL nonprofit, participated in diversity recruiting

Goals: Work in management consulting, with preference on 3rd world nation business development.

Other facts: Came in the US 2005 from Haiti, Black.

My target schools: Duke, Dartmouth, Yale, Georgetown, Emory and Harvard. Do you think there are other schools I can give a shot at?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: One Consultant. Unparalleled Experience. Unlimited Support. - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Stanford admit rate 2013: 100%
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Can you please give me your insight here? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 16:49
Thanks for the detailed post. You have an interesting background so that is a good start. Given the combination of your undergraduate school, GPA and GMAT, you would really be stretching yourself to go after a top top school, so HBS will be a stretch for you. Now depending on this ESL nonprofit and any other work you did, that could help you but keep in mind it is a long shot. Duke, Yale are schools within your range, Dartmouth a bit above, and Emory you have a pretty good shot of getting into. Now the GPA could be ignored to some extent by the family situation, though your GMAT does not help your story too much. Were you promoted faster than others in your accounting firm? Is it Deloitte/PwC? I ask because each helps you in a slightly different way for these schools. I would say the 2 years of W/E puts you on the low end for the schools and with not outstanding W/E this will hurt you. Are you certain you will apply this year? You certainly can but would have a better chance with more experience.

Depending on the type of program you want, you could certainly give other schools a shot but this is a good list that you have. Good luck and contact me for any other questions.

-Scott
scott@personalmbacoach.com
http://www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free application strategy discussion & initial essay review
--Insider tips and mock interview preparation

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com
http://www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free consultation & application strategy discussion

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you please give me your insight here? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 19:18
Expert's post
Hi freroht,

Your background and demographic are of interest to business schools. With regards to your GPA, you may want to consider addressing this; you can turn this experience into a positive part of your application. You don't have many years of experience, so in your application you should address why business school is the best decision right now.

Focus on crafting 2-3 messages that you would like an admissions team to come away with after reviewing your application, and then look for individuals who can recommend you on behalf of these points.

I hope this was of help. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: Can you please give me your insight here?   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2011, 19:18