Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [124]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [46]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31883 [15]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper crops, sugar beet and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Toughie, Between B and C :

b]Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.
c]Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but more effective pest-control methods that were introduced in the 1880s saved the citrus industry.

Getting the right meaning is important I suppose. B conveys that more effective methods save the citrus industry in 1880.
C conveys that methods that were introduced in 1880 solved the problem.

Not sure which one to pick though. I would go for B.

What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper crops, sugar beet and [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper crops, sugar beet and walnut in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.

A. Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper crops, sugar beet and walnut in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.

B. Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.

C. Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but more effective pest-control methods that were introduced in the 1880s saved the citrus industry.

D. In the 1880s, pests destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region and more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.

E. In the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry from what was destroying grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region.

OA - In a While!

This one is really confusing. D and E are out because of meaning change issue.
I am trapped between B and C.
Original sentence sounds unclear to me first, because if both the parts of the given sentence are facts then use of past perfect is not warranted.
But since all the 3 options has past perfect in it, then the two parts of the sentence must convey a sequence of action, one after another. 'In 1980' in the middle of the sentence does not make the sequence clear. I mean it is not clear that when were the crops destroyed by the pests. Did it happen before or after 1980, this ambiguity makes it difficult to judge for the use of past perfect in first part of the sentence.
Finally, chose C. (Time taken 3:15 mins :P )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools: Mannheim
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
A. Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper crops, sugar beet and walnut in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.
crops wrongly placed

B. Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.
structurally and grammatically correct

C. Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but more effective pest-control methods that were introduced in the 1880s saved the citrus industry.
crops rightly placed. but meaning changed. original meaning says that more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry in 1880s(these methods could have been introduced anytime but were effective in 1880s.. so wrong), whereas the sentence now says that these pest control methods were introduced in 1880s.

D. In the 1880s, pests destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region and more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry.
it changes meaning by saying that the crops were destroyed in 1880s.the original never says that ...so out

E. In the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry from what was destroying grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region.
structurally and grammatically incorrect

ans B

Could also be the other way round:
For me in C, the actions are logically constructed + past perfect -- > simple past indicate a shift in time and action.

Asking for GMAT Sentence Correction in general, can we assume that original meaning in the given sentence in the question stem is the logic that needs to be properly shown or is it possible that logic in the question stem is flawed already? I think so. And thus, your explanation would just be an assumption that the pest control methods were available earlier.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31883 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
LaxAvenger wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
crops wrongly placed

crops rightly placed. but meaning changed. original meaning says that more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry in 1880s(these methods could have been introduced anytime but were effective in 1880s.. so wrong), whereas the sentence now says that these pest control methods were introduced in 1880s.

it changes meaning by saying that the crops were destroyed in 1880s.the original never says that ...so out

ans B

For me in C, the actions are logically constructed + past perfect -- > simple past indicate a shift in time and action.

Asking for GMAT Sentence Correction in general, can we assume that original meaning in the given sentence in the question stem is the logic that needs to be properly shown or is it possible that logic in the question stem is flawed already? I think so. And thus, your explanation would just be an assumption that the pest control methods were available earlier.

hi,
whenever there is a change in meaning, the meaning of the original always stays and is correct, unless all the options conveying original meaning are grammatically wrong....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
WE:Consulting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
LaxAvenger wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
crops wrongly placed

ans B

hi,
whenever there is a change in meaning, the meaning of the original always stays and is correct, unless all the options conveying original meaning are grammatically wrong....

i believe the phrase "but in the 1880s" itself indicates pest control were introduced during a particular time period (that is 1980s) and not in any particular year so there is no meaning change. So option C is clearly conveys the meaning. For B opt, it is a bit clumsy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
blakemancillas TommyWallach

I thought that this question means: in 1880s, though crops A,B,C etc. were destroyed by pests, the effective pest control saved the citrus industry.

Is this not what the sentence means?

I felt choices A, B and C do not convey this message properly so they have to be ruled out. Please throw some light on this, because if this is not the case then the sentence does not make any sense to me.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shawnik wrote:
blakemancillas TommyWallach

I thought that this question means: in 1880s, though crops A,B,C etc. were destroyed by pests, the effective pest control saved the citrus industry.

Is this not what the sentence means?

I felt choices A, B and C do not convey this message properly so they have to be ruled out. Please throw some light on this, because if this is not the case then the sentence does not make any sense to me.

Crops A, B, C, D and E were destroyed not in 1880, but before that year. Subsequently in the year 1880 pest-control was used, thereby saving crop F.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The difference between B and C is clearer to me after understanding this.

In

B communicates that in the 1880s the industry was saved, C does not.

In C we are just told that methods saved the citrus industry, not that the industry was actually saved in the 1880s
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello MentorTutoring AjiteshArun

I went with C, how is B correct in this, but demands parallelism, so the sentence after but should have been a clause and C should have been correct IMO.

I dont agree with popular answer here: Pest had destroyed compared with in 1880. doesnt make sense.

Please help!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:

I went with C, how is B correct in this, but demands parallelism, so the sentence after but should have been a clause and C should have been correct IMO.

I dont agree with popular answer here: Pest had destroyed compared with in 1880. doesnt make sense.

Please help!
Hi hero_with_1000_faces,

We must ignore the prepositional phrase modifier to understand the actual structure of the sentence.

Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry. ← The but joins two independent clauses here ("Pests had destroyed..." and "... methods saved...").
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:

Please help!
Hi hero_with_1000_faces,

We must ignore the prepositional phrase modifier to understand the actual structure of the sentence.

Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper, sugar beet and walnut crops in the region, but in the 1880s, more effective pest-control methods saved the citrus industry. ← The but joins two independent clauses here ("Pests had destroyed..." and "... methods saved...").

Thanks Ajitesh, however my point is But needs to be followed by the clause: more effective pest control. am I correct in my thinking
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
AjiteshArun wrote:

Please help!
Hi hero_with_1000_faces,

Thanks Ajitesh, however my point is But needs to be followed by the clause: more effective pest control. am I correct in my thinking

Sorry to chime in late on this one, but, well, I was sleeping. (It is about 6.30 where I live, so I am at it quite early.) I think AjiteshArun has shown above how there is an independent clause after the coordinating conjunction but... it is only delayed by the presence of an introductory phrase for that clause. The structure is no different from starting a sentence with any sort of phrase before jumping across the comma to the main clause:

1) Powered by a Core Processor, the computer was capable of...

2) In the 1950s, McCarthyism in the U.S. led to...

3) By 2050, the world population will have...

Any of the above sentences could be written with a conjunction at the head of the sentence (in an emphatic manner). Sometimes such phrases are surrounded by commas instead of employing a single comma at the end, but shorter phrases, especially those under five words in length, often omit the initial comma. This is more of a convention than a hard-and-fast rule.

I hope that helps. Thank you for the initial mention.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Pests had destroyed grape, celery, chili pepper crops, sugar beet and [#permalink]
MentorTutoring wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:

Please help!
Hi hero_with_1000_faces,

Sorry to chime in late on this one, but, well, I was sleeping. (It is about 6.30 where I live, so I am at it quite early.) I think AjiteshArun has shown above how there is an independent clause after the coordinating conjunction but... it is only delayed by the presence of an introductory phrase for that clause. The structure is no different from starting a sentence with any sort of phrase before jumping across the comma to the main clause:

1) Powered by a Core Processor, the computer was capable of...

2) In the 1950s, McCarthyism in the U.S. led to...

3) By 2050, the world population will have...

Any of the above sentences could be written with a conjunction at the head of the sentence (in an emphatic manner). Sometimes such phrases are surrounded by commas instead of employing a single comma at the end, but shorter phrases, especially those under five words in length, often omit the initial comma. This is more of a convention than a hard-and-fast rule.

I hope that helps. Thank you for the initial mention.

- Andrew

MentorTutoring AjiteshArun
Understood, learned something new for me.
Thanks Andrew, good morning and good day!

so now that B is correct, this begs the question what is wrong with C then?

The only difference is presence of "methods that were introduced in the 1880s" and this logically makes sense to me.
How do you think B and C differ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500