Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ph.D from colleges in Canada/UK/Mainland Europe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Ph.D from colleges in Canada/UK/Mainland Europe [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 03:09
I have been browsing this forum for the past hour or so and while the forum contains tons of information on how to rank doctoral programs properly (instead of just relying on the FT rankings), the selection process and life of PhD students in the US, I am unable to gather much information about doctoral programs from countries like UK, Canada or other European countries. Considering that I will be applying for a PhD for a summer 2013 intake, I would like to father more information about colleges offering doctoral degrees from countries not just in the US. While, I would love to come to the US for education, if I can get a better offer from some other country - I don't see why should I chose one over the other. So, could any of you suggest some sources where I can find more information on doctoral programs in other countries?

PS: If it is of any help, I will be applying in the fields of monetary economics (aka macrofinance) or economic policy.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ph.D from colleges in Canada/UK/Mainland Europe [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 22:45
I can tell you about Europe as I predominantly applied to (Mainland) European institutions and got accepted at one (so far :) ).

In Europe, first thing you should check is whether funding is available or not. There are many good institutions/universities but with limited funding.

Secondly, you should check the eligibility requirement. Some programs specifically require you to have a 'research masters'. A normal masters or an MBA is not eligible leave alone a standalone UG degree.

Some top places where you can apply which have US type programs and with good/decent funding opportunities are:

France: INSEAD, HEC, ESSEC, ESCP (French requirement), EDHEC (only Fin), EM Lyon (not all specializations available), Grenoble EM.
In most of these places, funding is almost guaranteed on acceptance
Italy: Bocconi (a separate PhD for eco and fin)
Spain: IE Business school (limited funding), IESE (Research masters requirement)
Sweden: Stockholm School of Economics (funding guatanteed and a separate PhD for eco and fin)

There are some excellent Dutch universities such as Tilburg, Maastricht, Groningen etc. These have research masters requirement. But PhDs are treated as an employee and the 'salary' is generally higher than normal phD stipend.

Also most of these places have Sept intake only.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Ph.D from colleges in Canada/UK/Mainland Europe [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 06:20
Firstly, congratulations on your admit! :)

From your description of PhD programs in Mainland Europe, it sounds familiar to the way such programs are executed in India, Australia etc. The structure here also requires a M.Phil or a MSc in one concentration (such as economics or finance) and the PhD program starts with literature survey and dissertation right away. While I see the merits of such a structure, I won't be very comfortable since it requires two admits (one admit is hard enough as it is!) I also would have to consider how much flexibility is provided to a student to 'move around' in his/her area of interest. Personally, I would like to do research in areas from corporate finance/governance to monetary economics to economic history (I love Charles Kindleberger's works!) - fields which are completely unrelated but are just begging to be researched upon. Another thing which bothers me is the necessity for language. While I would love to learn French or German, to take it to the level of mastery in which I would be required to read a German research paper in just 12-18 months from now is an uphill task to say the least.

Still, I am intrigued with the European literature I have read so far, since it is much more 'softer' and often seems more relevant (at least to me) when I compare it to works by certain US professors who just overload the reader with numbers, equations and mind-bogglingly difficult language constructs. Plus the fact that PhD students are treated as staff sounds very inviting. I will definitely be going through the universities you have mentioned, so once again - thanks for the help!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ph.D from colleges in Canada/UK/Mainland Europe [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 07:27
Most European PhDs are moving to the US model. All the French programs are on US model. Unless I have specifically mentioned that a program needs a research masters, it doesn't. In fact, I have only an MBA. For your information, even in India, most of the top schools accept a bachelors degree as a minimum requirement. Australia requires a research masters.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ph.D from colleges in Canada/UK/Mainland Europe [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 23:35
Hey buddy,
I would like to suggest you that,move to Canada for Ph.D.Because there are a lot of facilities given by Canadian government to international students.And the standard of education is too high there and world's famous universities/colleges are there.Accommodation facility is too good in comparison to USA.You could get info about Canadian Universities and it's courses online very easily.

Good luck!!!

globalvisas.ph/canada-immigration.html
Re: Ph.D from colleges in Canada/UK/Mainland Europe   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2012, 23:35