Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pharma Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pharma Management [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 17:59
Hi,

I am from India and I am targeting fall 2007 for applying to B-Schools in US. I have a master’s degree in chemistry. I am working as a scientist for the past year in a pharma company and will have 3 years of work ex by the time I start B-School. I have a decent GPA and very strong extracurricular (played basketball for my college, won championships).

I wanted some info about b-schools with good pharmaceutical/healthcare mba programs. My research shows Duke (Fuqua) as my top choice. It has a MBA in Healthcare Management program which is very good.

Rutgers also has a MBA in pharmaceutical management program. It seems that all top pharma companies have funded that program. And since New Jersey is a hub for all pharma companies it makes sense to apply there. I wanted to know if you feel it is a good program to apply to.

Wharton and Harvard also have some good healthcare components in its MBA program.

My questions are as follows:

1. Which programs should I target if I want to focus on an MBA in healthcare/pharma management? It does not matter if it is a traditional MBA program with a smattering of healthcare/pharma courses.

2. Is Rutgers a good school to apply to? Are there other such schools which offer a MBA specialized in pharma/health management?

3. Will I be considered a non-traditional applicant from India by the B-schools, as I have a non-engineering, non-IT, non-finance background which (according to me) makes up the biggest pool of applicants from India?

4. Besides getting a strong GMAT score and good essays what else do you think I should do to enhance my application?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Aravindan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2005, 04:57
1. Which programs should I target if I want to focus on an MBA in healthcare/pharma management? It does not matter if it is a traditional MBA program with a smattering of healthcare/pharma courses.

Well if it's the latter, then almost any top ten program has the smattering you speak of. In terms of specialization Kellogg, Duke and Wharton are top ten schools with specialization. You just have to ask yourself what you want to do with your career take a look at what the schools offer and where graduates go and then apply to those schools.

2. Is Rutgers a good school to apply to? Are there other such schools which offer a MBA specialized in pharma/health management?

Yes, if you want to work at a pharma in New Jersey and get a salary that 15% lower than what you would receive graduating from a top ten.

3. Will I be considered a non-traditional applicant from India by the B-schools, as I have a non-engineering, non-IT, non-finance background which (according to me) makes up the biggest pool of applicants from India?

Yes, given your background it would be easier to differentiate yourself from the legions of engineers coming from your country.

4. Besides getting a strong GMAT score and good essays what else do you think I should do to enhance my application?

Well given the fact that we wrote a whole book on this question, it's hard to write in a couple sentences. But to summarize: Establish strong fit with your target schools and differentiate yourself from the competition (show how you're unique).

http://www.mbagameplan.com