Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pharmaceutical/Healthcare Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pharmaceutical/Healthcare Management [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 17:44
Dear Linda,

I am from India and I am targeting fall 2007 for applying to B-Schools in US. I have a master’s degree in chemistry. I am working as a scientist for the past year in a pharma company and will have 3 years of work ex by the time I start B-School. I have a decent GPA and very strong extracurricular (played basketball for my college, won championships).

I wanted some info about b-schools with good pharmaceutical/healthcare mba programs. My research shows Duke (Fuqua) as my top choice. It has a MBA in Healthcare Management program which is very good.

Rutgers also has a MBA in pharmaceutical management program. It seems that all top pharma companies have funded that program. And since New Jersey is a hub for all pharma companies it makes sense to apply there. I wanted to know if you feel it is a good program to apply to.

Wharton and Harvard also have some good healthcare components in its MBA program.

My questions are as follows:

1. Which programs should I target if I want to focus on an MBA in healthcare/pharma management? It does not matter if it is a traditional MBA program with a smattering of healthcare/pharma courses.

2. Is Rutgers a good school to apply to? Are there other such schools which offer a MBA specialized in pharma/health management?

3. Will I be considered a non-traditional applicant from India by the B-schools, as I have a non-engineering, non-IT, non-finance background which (according to me) makes up the biggest pool of applicants from India?

4. Besides getting a strong GMAT score and good essays what else do you think I should do to enhance my application?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Aravindan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pharmaceutical/Healthcare Management [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2005, 09:53
Expert's post
aravindanv wrote:
Dear Linda,

I am from India and I am targeting fall 2007 for applying to B-Schools in US. I have a master’s degree in chemistry. I am working as a scientist for the past year in a pharma company and will have 3 years of work ex by the time I start B-School. I have a decent GPA and very strong extracurricular (played basketball for my college, won championships).

I wanted some info about b-schools with good pharmaceutical/healthcare mba programs. My research shows Duke (Fuqua) as my top choice. It has a MBA in Healthcare Management program which is very good.

Rutgers also has a MBA in pharmaceutical management program. It seems that all top pharma companies have funded that program. And since New Jersey is a hub for all pharma companies it makes sense to apply there. I wanted to know if you feel it is a good program to apply to.

Wharton and Harvard also have some good healthcare components in its MBA program.

My questions are as follows:

1. Which programs should I target if I want to focus on an MBA in healthcare/pharma management? It does not matter if it is a traditional MBA program with a smattering of healthcare/pharma courses.

2. Is Rutgers a good school to apply to? Are there other such schools which offer a MBA specialized in pharma/health management?

3. Will I be considered a non-traditional applicant from India by the B-schools, as I have a non-engineering, non-IT, non-finance background which (according to me) makes up the biggest pool of applicants from India?

4. Besides getting a strong GMAT score and good essays what else do you think I should do to enhance my application?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Aravindan

You are looking at the right programs and asking the right questions. Duke certainly has an excellent reputation in healthcare, as does Stanford and Haas along with the other schools you mentioned. Rutgers is a fine program and it may be as good as the others you listed in pharma, but it doesn't have as strong a brand overall as Duke, Harvard, or Wharton. So if you earn a competitive GMAT, my advice to you would be to apply to Rutgers as well as the schools with the (inter)national brand. If you are accepted to a Harvard or Wharton or Duke, which has the healthcare focus to rival Rutgers, then go to one of those so that you will have the focus and the national brand. If you don't get accepted to one of those program or obtain much more financial aid from Rutgers, then go to Rutgers because it supports your goals.

To answer your questions:
1) see above.
2) See above. You may also want to consider CBS and NYU.
3) I don't know that a science background makes you "non-traditional," but you certainly won't be lumped in with the INdian IT applicants.
4) Here are a couple of suggestions:

Quote:
1) Make time for community service or an extra-curricular commitment.
2) Try to assume responsibility for business functions at work -- not purely scientific ones: negotiation, budgeting, management, etc.

There are more suggestions on how to prepare for you MBA application in Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admissions.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 23:20
Dear Linda,

Thanks for the great advice. I need some more help.

I am in the midst of a job change. I have job offers from two companies and I am in a great dilemma on which company to join.

Company A - It's a multinational pharma company (German) which is the oldest pharma company in the world. It has got a very good name and is one of the top pharma companies in the world.

Company B- It's an Indian Multinational with a great presence in the American and European market. It’s a top 5 Indian company with a great research facility (costliest facility in India).

In either company growth prospects, salary, perks etc are similar.

My question is, will it make a difference in my application if I join company A instead of B. This is because company A has a very recognizable brand name in the United States. Company B is well known to people close to the pharma industry. It may not be as well known to those people of the ADCOM who are laymen in terms of the global pharma industry.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aravindan
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 22:02
Expert's post
aravindanv wrote:
Dear Linda,

Thanks for the great advice. I need some more help.

I am in the midst of a job change. I have job offers from two companies and I am in a great dilemma on which company to join.

Company A - It's a multinational pharma company (German) which is the oldest pharma company in the world. It has got a very good name and is one of the top pharma companies in the world.

Company B- It's an Indian Multinational with a great presence in the American and European market. It’s a top 5 Indian company with a great research facility (costliest facility in India).

In either company growth prospects, salary, perks etc are similar.

My question is, will it make a difference in my application if I join company A instead of B. This is because company A has a very recognizable brand name in the United States. Company B is well known to people close to the pharma industry. It may not be as well known to those people of the ADCOM who are laymen in terms of the global pharma industry.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aravindan

I'm not sure I can advise you hear because I don't know enough about the industry. But just based on what you write above and assuming that you have not had a lot of international or European exposure, I would go with the German company in the belief that you are more likely to work on international teams or find yourself in Europe. I'm assuming that everything else -- responsibility, pay, etc. -- are the same.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog