Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:35

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

41% (02:14) correct 59% (01:27) wrong based on 180 sessions
Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers purchased eye drops to soothe eye dryness. Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses. The pharmacists concluded that wearing contact lenses, by itself, can cause contact wearers to have dry eyes.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the pharmacists' conclusion?

(A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.
(B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses.
(C) Most people who have dry eyes do not wear contact lenses.
(D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes.
(E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headaches.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 07:05
I will go with A..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 07:12
A,B, and E are out of scope since they are not related to the argument. Nowhere is mentioned about physical exertion, headaches or inherent causes. [u]"The pharmacists concluded that wearing contact lenses, by itself, can cause contact wearers
to have dry eyes. "[/u]
Then if most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes scientists are wrong in their conclusion
So it seems D to me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 07:13
The OA is A.

Why can't it be B. The assumption is the dryness of eyes is not caused by external factor other than contact lens.

Even B shows that physical exertion causes the dryness of eyes.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 08:21
1) Pharmacist study: reason why customers purchase eye drops to soothe eye dryness
2) Dry eyes experienced more frequently by customers who wore contact lens
3) Wearing contact lens cause dry eyes <-- conclusion

The conclusion is that wearing conact lens cause dry eyes. The choice that most immediately attack this conclusion, is (C). If most people have dry eyes and do not wear contact lenses, then it is not true that wearing contact lens is the cause of eye dryness.

(D) is close, but not good enough. All it says is most people who wear contacts do not have dry eyes to begin with.

I will choose C. I took a peep at your OA and am quite stunned it's A. To me, (A) is quite out of the scope since we're not even dealing with short-sightednes. It does suggests that dry eyes might be caused by inherited condition, but it does not attack the conclusion as much as C or D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 08:23
The problem in these questions is to identity what is causing what. If you have to weaken a question like this, here is what you do.

Let say A clause B, typical question will give you an answer choice in which b will cause A and that will be the answer.
similary, if A causes b, then find something where C is clausing B, which clearly refutes the argument.

For example

Contact lens causes dryness.
Ok.
but one of the answer says, no, there is another disease, that causes both. And guess what, whole argument fell apart. This is exactly what happened here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 08:29
But the question explicitly sames "undermines the conclusion". So shouldn't we be looking for the conclusion, then attacking it. I understand your explanation just now. This is just what I thought.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 08:34
Thanks Ritesh. Now I got it.

Even though both A and B weaken the argument, A seriously undermines it and hece A is the best answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2005, 08:38
riteshgupta1 wrote:
The problem in these questions is to identity what is causing what. If you have to weaken a question like this, here is what you do.

Let say A clause B, typical question will give you an answer choice in which b will cause A and that will be the answer.
similary, if A causes b, then find something where C is clausing B, which clearly refutes the argument.

For example

Contact lens causes dryness.
Ok.
but one of the answer says, no, there is another disease, that causes both. And guess what, whole argument fell apart. This is exactly what happened here.

okay, reading your arugment once more cleared my mind. Good one !! I've got to start my engines once more, been away too long :oops:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2005, 00:51
Good explanation guys. I agree with A.

It's not over until it's OVER!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2005, 05:07
I think here the by itself plays a major role in choosing A rather than C.

I did pick A initially but B undermines argument as well. A says genetics is responsible for dry eyes and B says physical exertion. How do u decide which one weakens it MORE? both are examples of external factors causing dry eyes.[/b]
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2005, 17:24
A.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2005, 03:09
Decibel is right when he says that both A and B have external factors which can weaken the argument. My best guess is that in B, 'many people' still leaves doubt. It can happen that there are still some people who can be affected by dry eyes by just wearing contact lenses- we dont know for sure. In case of A, the choice is more absolute. my two cents.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2005, 07:10
I vote for 'A'.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Contact Lens [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers pur- chased eye drops to soothe eye dryness. Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses. The pharmacists concluded that wearing con- tact lenses, by itself, can cause contact wearers to have dry eyes.
Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the pharmacists’ conclusion?
(A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.
(B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses.
(C) Most people who have dry eyes do not wear contact lenses.
(D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes.
(E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headaches.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V22
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Contact Lens [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 09:05
confused between A and B

IMO B

what is the OA?
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [3] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Contact Lens [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
This argument employs a common fallacy. That is if two things are happening together one causes other. It assumes that correlation means causation. Choice A correctly identifies the faulty reasoning and identifies the possibility of another condition which may be real cause behind both the problems of poor eyesight and dry eyes.

Rest other choices do not undermine the conclusion. that is they do not directly suggest in any way that contact lenses are not the cause of dry eyes"

Choice B has 2 problems, first it says Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses. But many is not equivalent to 'all' . for proving causation many people is not the appropriate word to use. Even if we remove many then this statement can be interpreted in two ways, physical exertion causes dry eyes and not contact lenses. this does undermines the conclusion. But another interpretation may be wearing contact lenses cause physical exertion which in turn causes dry eyes. This interpretation will support the argument. In any case, the first reason - the usage of uncertain word 'many' itself eliminates this choice.

Choice C - this does not deals with issue itself.

Choice D - again -Most people ? may be most dont have, but still contact lenses can cause dry eyes in some.

Choice E. this does not deals with issue itself
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Contact Lens [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 11:28
OA is A.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: Contact Lens [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 23:28
Aj85 wrote:
This argument employs a common fallacy. That is if two things are happening together one causes other. It assumes that correlation means causation. Choice A correctly identifies the faulty reasoning and identifies the possibility of another condition which may be real cause behind both the problems of poor eyesight and dry eyes.

Rest other choices do not undermine the conclusion. that is they do not directly suggest in any way that contact lenses are not the cause of dry eyes"

Choice B has 2 problems, first it says Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses. But many is not equivalent to 'all' . for proving causation many people is not the appropriate word to use. Even if we remove many then this statement can be interpreted in two ways, physical exertion causes dry eyes and not contact lenses. this does undermines the conclusion. But another interpretation may be wearing contact lenses cause physical exertion which in turn causes dry eyes. This interpretation will support the argument. In any case, the first reason - the usage of uncertain word 'many' itself eliminates this choice.

Choice C - this does not deals with issue itself.

Choice D - again -Most people ? may be most dont have, but still contact lenses can cause dry eyes in some.

Choice E. this does not deals with issue itself

Hi Aj85,

Choice A states: An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.

Isnt this choice out of scope since our target audience is people who wear contact lenses only and this choice also talks about people who do not wear contact lenses. Choice B talks only about people who wear contact lenses and says that physical exertion causes dry eyes and not wearing contact lenses. I agree many = not all but i believe this choice seems more to be a weakener than choice A since choice B talks about the people who wear contact lenses as stated in the passage and not about all people .

Please let me know.

Thanks!!!
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Contact Lens [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 13:44
Well B is the only answer choice which is weakening the ques stem!!!

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: Contact Lens   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2011, 13:44