Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD Application for Accounting Program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 06:01
Hello,

I would like to ask whether my profile below is ok for the application for PhD program in Accounting for the schools mentioned below.

Of course I can understand that it is just personal opinion. I just want to get some ideas on my profile.

Education
Master of Accountancy:
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, GPA: 3.85

Bachelor of Science in Applied Accounting
Oxford Brookes University, UK: graduate with first class.

Bachelor of Science in Finance
Brigham Young University, Provo, GPA: 3.86

GMAT: 660

Professional Qualification
CFA affiliate
CMA member
ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants)

Award
Top 20 Affiliate in Hong Kong ACCA
Top Achiever in financial reporting in Hong Kong, ACCA

Professional Publication
One publication in HKICPA

Work Experience:
4 year experience as a teaching assistant at one of the university in Hong Kong.

About two years practical accounting experience

The schools I would like to apply
MIT, UCLA, Harvard, University of Michigan, U of Illnosis, U of Oxford

(But I know that my GMAT score may adversely affect my application for these schools (T!T), Then how about the following schools? )

University of Washington seattle or st louis, U of Wisconsin, U of South California, University of Florida, Florida State U, U of South Florida.

Or do you have any good recommendation?

Thank you very very very much

Steven
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 10:51
You don't want your profile to be 'OK' for any school. There are many many 'OK' applicants. You want to be a very good applicant for a given school to stand a chance. Your profile seems just fine but the GMAT score is indeed a bit out of sync, and seems low for the top schools you listed. Illinois, maybe. In your second list, Washington University in St. Louis has nothing to do with University of Washington (which is in Seattle). The latter and USC would be tough sells too, but I think you may be considered for the others (WU, Wisconsin, Florida). Florida State and South Florida are lower tier than the others you listed.

Is there a reason why you chose those schools and not others? I'm sure your choice wasn't random but I don't know what links these schools together.
Intern
Intern

Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 18:08
Hi,

I come up with this list because I have researched for the quality of the schools, and their rankings. For the top school list, I think my GMAT is not enough either.

For the University of Washington, I mean whether my application is competitive for the application for the university of washington in seattle, and washington university st louis, but I was lazy to type the name of both (sorry to cause misunderstanding)

By the way, I agree with you. I should ask whether I am competitive for the application for the schools in the first and second list, not just ok.

For the Florida State and U of South Florida, I think I will use them as backups (forgive me if I am too arrogant)

Therefore, my choices are not restricted to these choices but I just remembered that they are good schools for accounting or business.

Therefore, would you give me some recommendations for the schools?

Thank you very much.

Steven
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 18:43
I think that you should consider retaking the GMAT. 660 will be a tough sell. I think most programs expect a 680+ for consideration, I could be wrong, but that is my impression.

BTW UW-Seattle has one of the best accounting departments in the world (and is better than some in your first list).
Manager
Manager

Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 09:41
I agree with air1980 on both counts (GMAT and UW), though I don't know how competitive the PhD program at UW actually is. The school's widespread recognition in terms of research is fairly recent so competition there may not be as tough as other schools with a longer history in accounting but that have declined recently (e.g. Rochester). But I really don't know.

Picking safety schools is all but arrogant, it's a wise choice. Actually you'd sound more arrogant if you only picked top schools.

The reason I asked about your school choice (i.e. my "random" question) is that I think you should look at what professors at those schools (and others) do, and target the professors as opposed to the schools. B-school (and research) rankings give you a good idea of where the good professors are but you're ultimately going to work with 1, 2 or (very unlikely) 3 professors, so how good the school's ranking is not very useful in the end.
Intern
Intern

Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 05:36
Hello,

Thank you all for your advice. Yes, I will retake GMAT, but I have one more question.

Do you think that my profile is competitive for the application for the Florida State University or University of South Florida, because I at least can prepare for the worst and of course try to do the best to get in the top school.

Thank you

Steven
Manager
Manager

Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 12:32
Not sure I can help here as I don't know those programs well, but it seems like you should be considered.
Intern
Intern

Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 01:37
I re-took GMAT today, but I got 680(from 660 (Math:43, Eng: 38) to 680 (Math 49 Eng: 33)....., ok but not very good
Math: 49, Eng: 33....(85%)

Although it is not over 700, but hopefully I can still get some chances for top 20-40 schools with the whole profile mentioned above.

By the way, since my quantitative part is 49, will it give me much more advantage for my application for PhD (accounting)

What do you all think? pls feel free to evaluate my profile.

Thanks
Re: PhD Application for Accounting Program   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2010, 01:37