Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD good for business career?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PhD good for business career? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 08:17
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster :-)
I recently got my Msc in marketing and I'm now faced with a difficult choice.
A professor has offered me a Phd position to continue work I started as part of my master's thesis, but on the other hand I have been offered a job at a top IT consultancy firm.
My interest has always been to do some consultancy work after graduation, but the Phd offer is also very enticing.
If I would accept the Phd position I don't think I would want to work in academia for the rest of my life and I would see myself wanting to make the switch to business in the future.
What would be the best career decision, the Phd or IT consultancy?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 13:03
You are the best person to answer this question, but let me get to the heart of the matter.

An academic career gives you a somewhat flexible lifestyle and when you get tenure, you have a job for life. Consulting may or may not give you that flexibility and you dont have as much guarantee about employment. Note that getting a tenure is not easy, but its the most attractive prospect of having an academic career. Also, I have seen many professors do consulting work on the side and that means additional income,

Finally, my prof says that a Ph.D will remain a poor student for life. You will be learning throughout your life , but no matter what , dont expect CEO type salaries to come your way.

Does that help?
Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 14:38
Yeah sure, but I really don't see myself having strictly an academic career. The main problem is that I don't want to limit myself to academic life, but I like the short term opportunities the Phd position offers me (continuing my research, keep on learning). However, after doing this and getting the Phd title I would probably like to go into business. Would this still be realistic?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 14:56
yon_doh wrote:
Yeah sure, but I really don't see myself having strictly an academic career. The main problem is that I don't want to limit myself to academic life, but I like the short term opportunities the Phd position offers me (continuing my research, keep on learning). However, after doing this and getting the Phd title I would probably like to go into business. Would this still be realistic?

Possible, sure...but realistic , i am not very sure.

I am sure that almost all of the top phd business programs will have a problem with your career goal. Universities spend a fortune on educating its PhD students and would like to see that they stay in academia. This helps further the name of the school and in turn attract more and more quality Phd applicants.

Some of the lower ranked programs may be ok with you going into the business world. But after graduation, you may not get the kind of opportunities in the business world that you really like.

Hjort , would you like to add something here?

Hope that helps
Praetorian
  [#permalink] 18 Dec 2004, 14:56