Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD in Accounting / Research Topics / Non-academic career

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PhD in Accounting / Research Topics / Non-academic career [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 05:55
Hey everybody,

graduating in december with a MS in Economics I am currently thinking of different possibilities to go on with.

Among others I am considering a PhD in Accounting. Can anyone give me an idea of the research topics in Accounting? In which area would I find "Stochastic differential equations" as posted by rsvoss (http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17589)
From what I imagine research in Accounting is not very quantative, especially opposed to Finance.

Although I enjoy research I am not planning to stay in academia. It seems like most of the people pursuing a PhD in business plan on academic careers. Does it make sense to get a PhD before working towards a CPA for example?

Since getting information from university web sites is always very tedious I hope this thread will be used to exchange as much info about the PhD in Accounting as possible.

Thanks and best wishes!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 09:19
I am not familiar with the field of accounting. However, the main (but not only) reason to get a biz phd is to be an academia. Either on a research or teaching track. But basically, to stay in school.

If your objective is to be a CPA (or some other professional certification), there is no need to get a phd. You will be much better off focusing on the CPA requirements now, than to spend the next 4 to 5 years as a phd student.

And since you are still in school, talk to you advisor or some profs to find out more. Find out what's involved in getting a phd. Also, they will be in the best position to advise you on your research topic inquiry. You are in position that I hope I am in.

Cheers,

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 04:52
Originally I am from Germany. I know that in my home country the amount of people getting a PhD in banking for example and starting their careers in private business (e.g. bank consulting) is quite high.

There are good reasons for that. As a PhD you know how to do independant research. You have high analytical skills. You should be able to communicate ideas quickly. Another important side effect is the respect coming along with such a title. Often times in business it is more about appearance than about knowing. In this regard a PhD is a clear advantage.

Im not saying you are wrong, but it seems to me that a PhD could be a good investment when going for a career in business.

Now I have to get prepared for tonights match. Keep your fingers crossed for the German team!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 17:28
You are right about the respect part. And a PhD definitely adds a lot of credibility, especially if it is from a top school. A PhD in finance or economics have the higher chance of landing a good paying non-academic job thn one from say IS or Marketing. Not sure about accounting.

Having said that, top schools are looking at applicants who are seriously considering research as a career. Just read the FAQ of the top schools, e.g. MIT.

P.S. Sorry about the Germany's game last night...

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

[#permalink] 04 Jul 2006, 17:28