Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD in Finance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
PhD in Finance? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2005, 14:33
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have browsed through the forum and found that many people here give really good advises. I'm very thankful that I found this site. :)

I'm currently considering apply to a PhD program. There are two areas that I'm interested: Finance (because of my love for math) and MIS (I also love computer programming). Recently one of my friends commented that the Finance field is now filled with Asian students, and that once an area is saturated by Asians the job market is going to be over filled in three to five years. Do you think this is a valid concern? Would this also apply to the MIS area?
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: PhD in Finance? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 14:02
HongHu wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have browsed through the forum and found that many people here give really good advises. I'm very thankful that I found this site. :)

I'm currently considering apply to a PhD program. There are two areas that I'm interested: Finance (because of my love for math) and MIS (I also love computer programming). Recently one of my friends commented that the Finance field is now filled with Asian students, and that once an area is saturated by Asians the job market is going to be over filled in three to five years. Do you think this is a valid concern? Would this also apply to the MIS area?

Though the question is 2 years old, it is still a valid question.

there was a recent article on WSJ that there will be a shortage of 1000 PHDs by 2010. Finance and accounting are those fileds that are always on high demand. So in my opinion, it wont be a job problem for the PHDs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PhD in Finance? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 08:52
Fistail wrote:
HongHu wrote:

Though the question is 2 years old, it is still a valid question.

there was a recent article on WSJ that there will be a shortage of 1000 PHDs by 2010. Finance and accounting are those fileds that are always on high demand. So in my opinion, it wont be a job problem for the PHDs.

i don't think anyone should rest on their laurels after they have gotten a business PhD, it is not going to garuntee you a job in academe
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 19:23
Fistail

The emphasis , as always, is on qualified PhD students. No promotion and tenure committee will reward mediocrity and as a logical consequence, will not hire mediocre students.

For the PhD student, after having spent 4 years toiling endlessly, the last thing he or she wants is just a job. Dont underestimate the importance of picking the right university. You have to like the place you go to with all your heart. Otherwise, you will be miserable for as long as you are there.

The list of current faculty at any school will give you some good idea if you will be hired there.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 20:08
Praetorian wrote:
Fistail

The emphasis , as always, is on qualified PhD students. No promotion and tenure committee will reward mediocrity and as a logical consequence, will not hire mediocre students.

For the PhD student, after having spent 4 years toiling endlessly, the last thing he or she wants is just a job. Dont underestimate the importance of picking the right university. You have to like the place you go to with all your heart. Otherwise, you will be miserable for as long as you are there.

The list of current faculty at any school will give you some good idea if you will be hired there.

Certainly I did not mean to say that having a PhD degree is enough for getting a tenure position at B-school or a job at Wall st. firm. But I definitely meant to say that there will be more opportunity available for the PhDs.

I happened to meet some of the MBA graduates who graduated during the 90s. They told me that many of them had 4-6 job offers and even some had 10-12 (wow unbelievable but it was confirmed by others as well). I believe it was because of more jobs available during those days. If more PhDs are required in future, certainly PhD holders will take benefit of few supplies but again the candidate has to be competitive.
  [#permalink] 07 Nov 2007, 20:08