Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD in Finance profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PhD in Finance profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 15:05
Hi guys,

Had I found the forum earlier, I would have had time to retake my GMAT and prepare a strong SOP.
Could you help evaluate my chances to be admitted into PhD in Finance program; and which group of schools should I aim at? I know the clock is ticking...

- UG in Banking and Finance, Distinction (8.2/10, top 5%) from Academy of Banking, Vietnam (1998-2002)
- MA in Accounting and Finance, Distinction (1/2) from Leeds University, UK (2004-2005) (top 15 business school in UK but I guess it doesn't matter), full scholarship
- Currently enrolled in MSc in Quantitative Finance at the University of Texas at Arlington, USA - I just completed my 1st semester and got GPA 4.0 (two classes). The reason I joined in this program was to warm up and have some credits hopefully transferable to the doctoral program I am trying to get into.

I have a lot of disadvantages:

- GMAT: 730 (Q 50 V 38, 96%, AWA 4.5) but taken too long ago (3/2008)
- Paper: nothing but 2 graduation dissertations for UG and MA degrees. 60-80 pages each.

- W/E: 2 years full-time and several internships in big banks (in home country 2002-2004). Got a job in US for half a year now but unfortunately it's not finance-related.
- TA experience: let's say none officially (have some experience private tutoring secondary high-school students).

- The biggest disadvantage is discontinuity, Asian, female, 31 as I am, I have thin W/E compared to young candidates (had a hard time being neither an employee nor a student). All I have, I would say, are critical thinking and quant skills.

So, given that I may have a strong SOP, do I have a chance to get admission somewhere? I would prefer schools in CA, TX or FL, but as long as I have the admission, relocation is not a problem.

If I wait one more year, I may have chance to improve my GMAT and SOP, but the disadvantages eg. age would become even bigger. Or should I give up this dream and simply try to finish this MSQF program? It is hard to work full-time and have evening classes at the same time.

What do you think? Any advice will be really appreciated. Thank you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
PhD in Finance profile evaluation   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2011, 15:05