Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 10:03
I am preparing to apply 5 of the top 10 business schools in Canada:

*mcgill university-desautels
*toronto university-rottman
*HEC Montreal
*York-Schulich
*Mcmaster-Degrote

and 2 in Spain

*IE
*IESE

I have a very recent, but low gmat score (630)(48Q) (28V) and an average GRE score 170/170 (Qt) %98 152/170 (verb) %53

All of these schools mention as the minimum requirement of GMAT 600 on their website.

Other parts of my applications are not super strong neither.

Would you mind sharing your honest opinion about my chances of acceptance in any of these schools)?I have another schedule GMAT in 2 days but i feel obliged to score over +700 and it puts me under additionnal stress. Although I have been working for phd application for over 6 months (all the tests, recommendation letters etc.) ,I even consider not going applying at all if i can't not reach +700 in my next test.

DO you have any additionnal commet about my GRE score? Rotman for instance requires %80 in every part of GRE but for non-native speakers a score above %80 isn't it rare?

Any comment is appreciated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 84

Re: phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 00:19
glory797979 wrote:

*HEC Montreal
*York-Schulich
*Mcmaster-Degrote

and 2 in Spain

*IE
*IESE

I have a very recent, but low gmat score (630)(48Q) (28V) and an average GRE score 170/170 (Qt) %98 152/170 (verb) %53

All of these schools mention as the minimum requirement of GMAT 600 on their website.

Would you mind sharing your honest opinion about my chances of acceptance in any of these schools)?I have another schedule GMAT in 2 days but i feel obliged to score over +700 and it puts me under additionnal stress. Although I have been working for phd application for over 6 months (all the tests, recommendation letters etc.) ,I even consider not going applying at all if i can't not reach +700 in my next test.

DO you have any additionnal commet about my GRE score? Rotman for instance requires %80 in every part of GRE but for non-native speakers a score above %80 isn't it rare?

Hi;
Its nice to have both scores GRE and GMAT for applicant. Although your GRE score is better than the GMAT; i guess both the scores are pointing to weak verbal skills. Again if you want to apply to field which requires good verbal skills such as Marketing and economics, then i will recommend you to brush up your verbal skills and get verbal score above 80% percentile. On the contrary, if you want to apply to the field like Operations / Finance etc. then might be the admission committee overlook the verbal part of the Official scores and you may be accepted. By the way; i will suggest you to apply to schools who had least possible chances of rejection. Best luck for your Application.

:banana

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Last edited by rango on 21 Dec 2013, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Re: phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 00:25
glory797979 wrote:

*HEC Montreal
*York-Schulich
*Mcmaster-Degrote

and 2 in Spain

*IE
*IESE

Hi,

IMHO the minimum score mentioned by most of the institutes is not an accurate indicator. Surely the actual admits far exceed that score (I found it out the hard way :shock: ). So a retake is almost certainly advisable.

On the other hand, don't sweat too much over the 700 mark. It will do a ton of good to your apps but may not guarantee admission (given the choice of your schools). Don't think too much about the score especially during the test. This was my undoing the first time.

Focus on one question at a time. It worked for me. All the best and do keep us posted about your 2nd attempt :-D

Regards,
GMATDanger

From 620 to 760: Getting reborn!

Intern
Intern

Re: phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 17:51
Thank you guys for your quick contributions..
Rango; at thee nd of your post you suggest me to apply to schools which had least possible of rejections. Can you name any? Actually, as you might guess there are 100ths of schools to chose from. My main filter has been the location as i prefer to live either in toronto or montreal and definitely not in usa..any school that you could suggest?

Gmat danger; i will retake gmat on 23rd , in just 2 days but i am expecting a score around 670.. İ can easily achieve %90 quant but i dont expect to score better than %60 in verbal. The thing is i am not necessarily looking to push for the best schools in the world. I want it to be in canada (specifically in toronto or montreal , i am fluent in french or in spain ( i just like the country).. I beleive to have a very interesting research topic in mind and i am very dedicated to foolow that phd dream ( i call it a dream because it is something that i have been thinking since my mba in 2007- i have 10 years of corporate experience and now i have decided to shut the corporate down for good and dedicate my life to research). However, this high gmat requirements of good schools highly demotivate me..

My question is can anyone suggest me schools that are not necessarily top ones, but would be achievable with a hyphthetical (hıepfully :)) 670 gmat?

Thank you for your contribution
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 84

Re: phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 20:36
glory797979 wrote:
Thank you guys for your quick contributions..
Rango; at thee nd of your post you suggest me to apply to schools which had least possible of rejections. Can you name any? Actually, as you might guess there are 100ths of schools to chose from. My main filter has been the location as i prefer to live either in toronto or montreal and definitely not in usa..any school that you could suggest?

Gmat danger; i will retake gmat on 23rd , in just 2 days but i am expecting a score around 670.. İ can easily achieve %90 quant but i dont expect to score better than %60 in verbal. The thing is i am not necessarily looking to push for the best schools in the world. I want it to be in canada (specifically in toronto or montreal , i am fluent in french or in spain ( i just like the country).. I beleive to have a very interesting research topic in mind and i am very dedicated to foolow that phd dream ( i call it a dream because it is something that i have been thinking since my mba in 2007- i have 10 years of corporate experience and now i have decided to shut the corporate down for good and dedicate my life to research). However, this high gmat requirements of good schools highly demotivate me..

My question is can anyone suggest me schools that are not necessarily top ones, but would be achievable with a hyphthetical (hıepfully :)) 670 gmat?

Thank you for your contribution

What are ur Field of interests to apply for ?

:-D

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Intern
Intern

Re: phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 02:35
Strategic management
Re: phd in strategic management in canada? gmat score?   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2013, 02:35