Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD straight from Bachelors

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PhD straight from Bachelors [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2005, 18:51
Hello,

I am entering my final year of undergraduate studies and will be getting a Honours B.Sc with a Specialization in Computer Science and a Major in Mathematics. My total research experience has been 1 semester of volunteering in interdisciplinary research in biology and computer science and a summer of full time research in the same field after having been given an NSERC USA scholarship (NSERC USA - National Science and Engineering Research Council Undergraduate Summer Award). My current GPA is 3.98/4 and I am yet to write either the GRE of GMAT. I was wondering if not having completed a Masters program will limit my chances at top universities or actually most universities in general? I am interested in either pursuing a PhD in Finance or Information Systems. In addition, will the lack of research experience in a business field pretty much make my research experience irrelevant?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2005, 14:49
From what I've heard, I don't think you're looking at a huge problem there w/o the Masters. Your GPA is, of course, outstanding and will enhance your chances greatly. I presume the quant portion of the GMAT will be reasonably easy to handle for you given your background, so as long as you do well on the GMAT, I'd assume your chances are good.

I suppose with regard to research, it would certainly benefit you to read articles and define a specialty within Finance or IS that interests you and start contacting profs in your preferred schools who have have published in these specialties. As near as I've been told--and granted, I'm still a bit of a neophyte in this--that would be a good thing to do at this point.

"I was going as fast as I ever went in my whole life...then I fell off."

[#permalink] 09 Apr 2005, 14:49