Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhDs applying for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Wharton
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PhDs applying for MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 04:22
Hi Guys,
I have applied to a few US schools in Round 2 and wanted to know if anyone has information about how candidates with PhDs in non management subjects are perceived by the Adcoms.
I am new to this site but have had a chance to read the posts on schools like HBS and Stanford and the applicants general perception that these schools prefer younger candidates.
thanks
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: PhDs applying for MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 06:33
I think Stanford and Harvard are unique in their preference for younger candidates, so don't worry about it for other schools. Also, I'm fairly sure that someone with a PhD, like someone from the military or an MD, is more or less exempted from any younger bias because of the time required in those pre-MBA fields. That said, it will be a little trickier to justify a near-term goal in a field such as investment banking because of their young-age recruiting bias. Overall, I think the differentiation provided by having a PhD will outweigh any age-related disadvantage. Good luck!

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: PhDs applying for MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 06:43
Right, unfortunately I have only applied to S/H/W. I finished my PhD when I was 25 as its only a 4 year program in the UK, and did Investment Banking at a bulge bracket firm for three years following that. So I do not how much the novelty of having a PhD would hold.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: PhDs applying for MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 12:33
At this point you can't really do much about it, so just sit back and relax. Your age may put you at somewhat of a disadvantage at H/S, but you're without question a reasonable age for Wharton. Not many people with PhDs apply to MBA programs, so I'm sure that each candidate is looked at separately. You can presumably make some exceedingly strong arguments for what you can bring to the class that is unique, which is something that many individuals struggle to do. In the end, it's really how you sold yourself, you're not so old to be out of contention, and the PhD differentiates you in a positive way (well, depending on how you attempted to leverage the degree in the app). My guess is you'll be fine. If you're set on going this coming fall, you can always try to put together another app (MIT likes older candidates, and Chicago and Kellogg should also be very accepting).

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: PhDs applying for MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 12:45
True, although I am retaking my GMAT by the first week of Feb, so that in the off chance that I do get an interview at any of the schools, I should hopefully have something to improve my chances. I did mention my PhD in the essays, but in the context that it was a means of making an original contribution to science and developing a company out of the research, rather than my greatest achievement.

Unfortunately MIT does not have a 3rd round. Hey ho, lets see, Best of luck to you too!
Intern
Intern

Re: PhDs applying for MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 23:12
right but i am already applied in ERIM in last year....
Re: PhDs applying for MBA   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2014, 23:12