Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Photovoltaic power plants produce electricity from sunlight.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Photovoltaic power plants produce electricity from sunlight. [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2003, 11:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (03:30) correct 50% (01:22) wrong based on 3 sessions
12. Photovoltaic power plants produce electricity from sunlight. As a result of astonishing recent technological advances, the cost of producing electric power at photovoltaic power plants, allowing for both construction and operating costs, is one-tenth of what it was 20 years ago, whereas the corresponding cost for traditional plants, which burn fossil fuels, has increased. Thus, photovoltaic power plants offer a less expensive approach to meeting demand for electricity than do traditional power plants.

The conclusion of the argument is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) The cost of producing electric power at traditional plants has increased over the past 20 years.

(B) Twenty years ago, traditional power plants were producing 10 times more electric power than were photovoltaic plants.

(C) None of the recent technological advances in producing electric power at photovoltaic plants can be applied to producing power at traditional plants.

(D) Twenty years ago, the cost of producing electric power at photovoltaic plants was less than 20 times the cost of producing power at traditional plants.

(E) The cost of producing electric power at photovoltaic plants is expected to decrease further, while the cost of producing power at traditional plants is not expected to decrease.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2003, 11:30
A, may or may not

if C is not true, then old plants will stand in competition against the new.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2003, 11:46
now, E also seems good :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2003, 17:10
conclusion: cost tradition should be more than photo...now.

D proves it.

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 07:38
vote for D, although D seems to be discussionable
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 10:04
:yes

D is the answer. Can anyone provide a detail explanation ?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 17:20
asandeep wrote:

20 times?

i dont think we need 20 times less than..whatever..

The missing info here is ..we dont know if photo plants are actually cheaper than traditional plants..all we know is the cost is one-tenth of what it was 20 years ago... D provides that "LINK" by saying that photo plants costs less. But i still dont get why 20 times is needed.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 18:06
confused . can somebody explain?
:?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 18:21
praetorian123 wrote:
asandeep wrote:

20 times?

The missing info here is ..we dont know if photo plants are actually cheaper than traditional plants..all we know is the cost is one-tenth of what it was 20 years ago... D provides that "LINK" by saying that photo plants costs less. But i still dont get why 20 times is needed.

But the information in D is about 20 years ago.
How do we conclude it is cheaper today ?

:stupid
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 18:27
asandeep wrote:
praetorian123 wrote:
asandeep wrote:

20 times?

But the information in D is about 20 years ago.
How do we conclude it is cheaper today ?

:stupid

read the argument again.

it mentions something like...one -tenth of the cost 20 years ago
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

my take on D [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2003, 21:53
Well D says that, 20 yrs ago cost of photovoltaic plant for about (less than) 20 times more than traditional plant. Say it was 10 times.

At present time, it has become 1/10th that means it is same as what a traditional plant cost 20 yrs ago. But the stem also says that the cost of traditional plant has increased. Now putting it together, we can see that the cost of traditional plant actually is say 2 times what it was 20 yrs ago. Comparing it to the photovoltaic cost today, it is obvious to use the cheaper photovoltaic plant.

does this make things clearer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: my take on D [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 02:18
bat_car wrote:
Well D says that, 20 yrs ago cost of photovoltaic plant for about (less than) 20 times more than traditional plant. Say it was 10 times.

At present time, it has become 1/10th that means it is same as what a traditional plant cost 20 yrs ago. But the stem also says that the cost of traditional plant has increased. Now putting it together, we can see that the cost of traditional plant actually is say 2 times what it was 20 yrs ago. Comparing it to the photovoltaic cost today, it is obvious to use the cheaper photovoltaic plant.

does this make things clearer.

But it says only "has incressed". How do we know that the cost of traditional plants is at least 2 twice as mush as it was 20 years ago? :?

me

Re: my take on D   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2003, 02:18