Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 137 [1] , given: 0

Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:57) correct 12% (01:06) wrong based on 473 sessions
Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form. Because the long-term side effects of synthetic melatonin are unknown, however, I cannot recommend its use at this time.

Patient: Your position is inconsistent with your usual practice. You prescribe many medications that you know have serious side effects, so concern about side effects cannot be the real reason you will not prescribe melatonin.

The patient's argument is flawed because it fails to consider that

(A) the side effects of synthetic melatonin might be different from those of naturally produced melatonin

(B) it is possible that the physician does not believe that melatonin has been conclusively shown to be effective

(C) sleep disorders, if left untreated, might lead to serious medical complications

(D) the side effects of a medication can take some time to manifest themselves

(E) known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [3] , given: 75

Re: Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
(A) the side effects of synthetic melatonin might be different from those of naturally produced melatonin
naturally produced melatonin is out of scope so it's comparison with the synthetic one.

(B) it is possible that the physician does not believe that melatonin has been conclusively shown to be effective
"The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders ....." it's mentioned very well that melatonin is effective !

(C) sleep disorders, if left untreated, might lead to serious medical complications
may or may not be true but this has nothing to do with the argument.

(D) the side effects of a medication can take some time to manifest themselves
the time of action is not into consideration.

(E) known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot
" ....Because the long-term side effects of synthetic melatonin are unknown....." the physician has been providing many medicines to patients because the physician knew the side effect and its magnitude but since this (melatonin) has no known side effects so the physician is not prescribing it considering that it might harm the patient.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:18
E.

Doc- unknown side effects
Patient- known side effects.

GAP here- patient mistakingly correlates/equates known side effects to unknown side effects

answer choice that attacks this is the answer.

E does that.

GMAT 1- 770(Q 51 V44)
cya ISB in 2013 !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:14
E patient himself tells that the doctor knows the side effects of the medicines he prescribes

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 22:18
Clear winner E , as Doctor does not prescribes the ones which have unknown side effects but patient is arguing about that doctor does prescribe medication with side effects. the gap is there
Medication with unknown side effect which Dr will not prescribe vs Medication which has known side effects.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 19:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 19:18