Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evidence

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evidence [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 20:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

22% (02:59) correct 78% (00:46) wrong based on 16 sessions
Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evidence linking a number of structural disorders to jogging. Among the ailments seemingly connected with this now-popular sport are spinal disk displacements, stress fractures of the feet and ankles, knee and hip joint deterioration, and tendonitis. Furthermore, these injuries do not occur exclusively among beginning runners—veteran joggers suffer an equal percentage of injuries. What the accumulating data suggest is that the human anatomy is not able to withstand the stresses of jogging.

Which one of the following is an assumption of the argument?

(A) The link between jogging and certain structural disorders appears to be a causal one.
(B) Jogging causes more serious disorders than other sports.
(C) The jogger’s level of experience is a factor determining the likelihood of a jogging injury.
(D) Some sports are safer for the human body than jogging.
(E) The human species is not very durable.

i guessed i missed this one. can you explain guys?
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evid [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 20:33
A.
(B) Jogging causes more serious disorders than other sports - no mention of other sports.
(C) The jogger’s level of experience is a factor determining the likelihood of a jogging injury - beginners as well as veterans suffer equally
(D) Some sports are safer for the human body than jogging- no mention of other sports.
(E) The human species is not very durable - very general statement which is to say that the statement is not specific to the argument of the passage

Fistail wrote:
Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evidence linking a number of structural disorders to jogging. Among the ailments seemingly connected with this now-popular sport are spinal disk displacements, stress fractures of the feet and ankles, knee and hip joint deterioration, and tendonitis. Furthermore, these injuries do not occur exclusively among beginning runners—veteran joggers suffer an equal percentage of injuries. What the accumulating data suggest is that the human anatomy is not able to withstand the stresses of jogging.

(A) The link between jogging and certain structural disorders appears to be a causal one.
(C) The jogger’s level of experience is a factor determining the likelihood of a jogging injury.

VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evid [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 20:34
Fistail wrote:

I think E
It's either E or C. A is out of scope because stem never talk about link casualness. In B and D, other sports are not mentioned; thus, out of scope. In C, the stem said that the likelihood is the same for both experience and non-experience; thus, this isn't true.
I think E is correct. If human is durable, then the conclusion will not hold true.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evid [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 20:45
OA is A.

i misread "Furthermore, these injuries do not occur exclusively among beginning runners—veteran joggers suffer an equal percentage of injuries" as ""Furthermore, these injuries do not occur among beginning runners but occure only to veteran joggers".
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evid [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 13:28
Artemov wrote:
A.
(B) Jogging causes more serious disorders than other sports - no mention of other sports.
(C) The jogger’s level of experience is a factor determining the likelihood of a jogging injury - beginners as well as veterans suffer equally
(D) Some sports are safer for the human body than jogging- no mention of other sports. [[highlight]I chose it because i thought it would mean that there are sports which human body can sustain but they are not able to take the stress of jogging[/highlight]]
(E) The human species is not very durable - very general statement which is to say that the statement is not specific to the argument of the passage

ok
but please explain how A can be an assumption here????

WarLocK

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 874 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evid [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 17:54
Warlock007 wrote:
Artemov wrote:
A.
(D) Some sports are safer for the human body than jogging- no mention of other sports. [[highlight]I chose it because i thought it would mean that there are sports which human body can sustain but they are not able to take the stress of jogging[/highlight]]

ok

The only reason I think why "A" is correct because the link "cause->effect" may possibly be opposite. People who have these physiological abnormality participate in sprinting more than the other people.

Author makes this argument:
"The human anatomy is not able to withstand the stresses of jogging."

Author thinks:
Running caused these conditions. (Pretty much what's said in A)

Think of a scenario:
People who run also do weights. Thus, the people who run have these injuries. There is a link for sure. But, saying that running caused those condition would be bad. Doing weight could have caused the injuries.

Ans: "A"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evidence [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 19:28
The question only shows correlation between injuries and the sport but there is no causation. But the conclusion "What the accumulating data suggest is that the human anatomy is not able to withstand the stresses of jogging." shows that they are causing the injuries. So, the assumption must be causation holds true.

I hope this explanation helps. :o
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evid [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 21:22
fluke wrote:
Warlock007 wrote:
Artemov wrote:
A.

ok

The only reason I think why "A" is correct because the link "cause->effect" may possibly be opposite. People who have these physiological abnormality participate in sprinting more than the other people.

Author makes this argument:
"The human anatomy is not able to withstand the stresses of jogging."

Author thinks:
Running caused these conditions. (Pretty much what's said in A)

Think of a scenario:
People who run also do weights. Thus, the people who run have these injuries. There is a link for sure. But, saying that running caused those condition would be bad. Doing weight could have caused the injuries.

Ans: "A"

IF am not wrong then in assumption questions the conclusion remains the same it just gets strengthened

now if we take up A as an assumption then will our conclusion become strengthened?????????

WarLocK

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evid [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 23:25
I believe you are half right. You have to find out what is missing to ensure that the conclusion is correct.
Conclusion is strengthened in a strengthened or support type of questions.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evidence [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 00:38
+1 A. used POE. no better explanation.
Re: CR: Physiological research has uncovered disturbing evidence   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2011, 00:38