Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Picking Dream, Mid-Range, and Safety Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q39 V44
GPA: 3.09
WE: Project Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Picking Dream, Mid-Range, and Safety Schools [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 14:09
Thanks in advance for reading my post.

I'm currently applying for Fall 2012 and wanting to make a career change into investment banking. I have previously posted a profile here: http://gmatclub.com/forum/-post-prep-pre-gmat-evaluation-concerned-with-mediocrity-112348.html. I'd really like to end up in the SF Bay Area or NYC when I've completed my MBA.

So far, I'm applying to Cornell as my dream school (i.e. the school at which I may have a distant chance of being accepted), but I'm having trouble picking out Mid-Range and Safety schools. For a Mid-Range school (i.e. a school at which I will be competitive, but may have a chance of not being accepted) I was thinking about UC-Davis. Do you think this is a wise choice and that I have a good shot at getting in?

I have been conflicted on picking a Safety school. I was thinking the University of Rochester, but I noticed then that all three schools I apply to would be Top 100 schools... Would that be aiming too high for a Safety school? I know of a lot of other decent bschools (like Seattle University, locally) that aren't in the Top 100, so it makes me think that I should chose a Safety off of the list. What are your thoughts on this?

If I were to pick a lesser-known school as a Safety, so as to be in a desirable city, would you be able to suggest any? I'd be nervous about picking a school without much serious weight in the investment banking or business world.

Thanks again for reading. I look forward to your response!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes