Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2006, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:47) correct 16% (01:10) wrong based on 44 sessions
Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, BEAM robots are not programmed to walk; instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error.

A)

B) BEAM robots learn to walk through trial and error by using brainlike circuits called neural networks instead of by programming them

C) BEAM robots are not being programmed to walk but instead using brainlike circuits called neural networks and learning to walk through trial and error

D) brainlike circuits called neural networks are used instead of programming for BEAM robots learning to walk through trial and error

E) brainlike circuits called neural networks are being used for BEAM robots that learn to walk through trial and error instead of being programmed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 04 Jun 2014, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Los Alamos National Laboratory [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 03:42
brufarber wrote:
Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, BEAM robots are not programmed to walk; instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error.

A)

B) BEAM robots learn to walk through trial and error by using brainlike circuits called neural networks instead of by programming them

C) BEAM robots are not being programmed to walk but instead using brainlike circuits called neural networks and learning to walk through trial and error

D) brainlike circuits called neural networks are used instead of programming for BEAM robots learning to walk through trial and error

E) brainlike circuits called neural networks are being used for BEAM robots that learn to walk through trial and error instead of being programmed

A
For me the close ones were A and E. The question is what was pioneered by the lab - the BEAM robots or the neural chips? The original seems to favor the former, leading my conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 03:47
A

D) modifier problem
E) modifier problem
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

well done [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 06:04
4/4 100% accuracy, impressive!!!
OA is A.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 07:17
GMAT just loves to test our knowledge of the semicolon.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Los Alamos National Laboratory [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 10:20
I am confussed here. B is the more parallel for me.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 40

Re: SC - Los Alamos National Laboratory [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 08:05
What THEY represents here in A - scientists or robots?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Re: [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:20
GMATT73 wrote:
GMAT just loves to test our knowledge of the semicolon.

A sentence after a semicolon must by independent and "instead bla bla bla..." is not.

Thoughts on that?
Thanks!

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

Re: SC - Los Alamos National Laboratory [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 03:29
why?
"Instead" is not a subordinator. In A, you have a subject (they) and a main verb (use)

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 02:37
I also picked B rather than A for the same reason that 'instead' make it Independent clause. Gt it now...Do we have some other words like 'instead' that doesnot make any difference to independent clause
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 15:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1905

Re: Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 16:00
A!

DE: Wrong; BEAM Robots is the intended noun for the modifier.
B: Wrong; BEAM Robots can't program their own circuits
C: Wrong; "instead...error" is not an independent clause
Re: Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory,   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2014, 16:00