Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 20:01
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
170. Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, BEAM robots are not programmed to walk: instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error.

A. BEAM robots are not programmed to walk; instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error
B. BEAM robots learn to walk through trial and error by using brainlike circuits called neural networks instead of by programming them
C. BEAM robots are not being programmed to walk but instead using brainlike circuits called neural networks and learning to walk through trial and error
D. brainlike circuits called neural networks are used instead of programming for BEAM robots learning to walk through trial and error
E. brainlike circuits called neural networks are being used for BEAM robots that learn to walk through trial and error instead of being programmed

The question may not brutal, but I am shock when I found my choice too far away from OA!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 21:22
A. BEAM robots are not programmed to walk; instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error
Referent for "they" is not clear.

B. BEAM robots learn to walk through trial and error by using brainlike circuits called neural networks instead of by programming them
Referent for "them" is not clear.

C. BEAM robots are not being programmed to walk but instead using brainlike circuits called neural networks and learning to walk through trial and error.
"Being" is unnecessary here, so this makes option incorrect.

D. brainlike circuits called neural networks are used instead of programming for BEAM robots learning to walk through trial and error.
This one seems to be correct.

E. brainlike circuits called neural networks are being used for BEAM robots that learn to walk through trial and error instead of being programmed.

So for me Answer is D.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 21:26
abhijit_sen wrote:
Referent for "they" is not clear.

Referent for "them" is not clear.

C. BEAM robots are not being programmed to walk but instead using brainlike circuits called neural networks and learning to walk through trial and error.

D. brainlike circuits called neural networks are used instead of programming for BEAM robots learning to walk through trial and error.
This one seems to be correct.

E. brainlike circuits called neural networks are being used for BEAM robots that learn to walk through trial and error instead of being programmed.

So for me Answer is D.

Hi, Nice to see you on the same boat! but D is not OA :| :lol:

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 22:19
sondenso wrote:
170. Pioneered by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, BEAM robots are not programmed to walk: instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error.

C. BEAM robots are not being programmed to walk but instead using brainlike circuits called neural networks and learning to walk through trial and error
D. brainlike circuits called neural networks are used instead of programming for BEAM robots learning to walk through trial and error
E. brainlike circuits called neural networks are being used for BEAM robots that learn to walk through trial and error instead of being programmed

The question may not brutal, but I am shock when I found my choice too far away from OA!

I am not sure of my reasoning but I would go for A. They cannot refer to scientists here because scientists is used in in a Possesive sense owning the act of pioneering?
Anyways the placement of "BEAM robots" rules out D and E for me.
The usage of being rules out C.
Lack of parallelism rules out B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 02:00
A for me.

I don't see anything wrong with A. Unless there is a specific rule regarding ";" that I'm missing, I don't see how they is unclear. I would love a definitive answer as to why they is clear though if anyone has that.

D and E are ruled out because it's altered intent -- the sentence is about the robots, not the circuits. Pioneered by Scientists....BEAM Robots... (this is smooth).

B puts too much emphasis on the Scientists. It starts out passive (Pioneered by scientists...) because it's putting the focus on the robots, not the programming that the scientists did.

C just seems awkward to me in every way. The use of the present future tense seems unnecessary and the use of "being" is always a red flag.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 07:58
OA is A

sondenso wrote:

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:48
Yay. I got this one right on the money. A seems to be the best choice among all available. Sondenso, thanks again for coming up with such good ones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 13:33
[quote="jallenmorris"]OA is A

I dont know why OA is A, A looks like an okay answer but it has a major problem. Semi colon (;). Rule says that semi colon is a connector of two independent clauses.
now, in
A. BEAM robots are not programmed to walk; instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error.

Is "instead they use brainlike circuits....." an independent clause?
nah! I dont think so.

So I choose E for being a lesser evil.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 16:45
That's not a semicolon. That's a colon. : not ;

rishi2377 wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
OA is A

I dont know why OA is A, A looks like an okay answer but it has a major problem. Semi colon (;). Rule says that semi colon is a connector of two independent clauses.
now, in
A. BEAM robots are not programmed to walk; instead they use brainlike circuits called neural networks to learn to walk through trial and error.

Is "instead they use brainlike circuits....." an independent clause?
nah! I dont think so.

So I choose E for being a lesser evil.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC.Prep. Alamos [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 17:59
raconteur wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with A. Unless there is a specific rule regarding ";" that I'm missing, I don't see how they is unclear. I would love a definitive answer as to why they is clear though if anyone has that

I guess you a monster about "Pronoun Error". Can you shed some light on "they" in A? it is really unclear for me! In my opinion, "they" in A can refer to "robots", but the meaning of A seems that "they" refer to "scientists". Really confused! Thanks! :P

Re: SC.Prep. Alamos   [#permalink] 28 May 2008, 17:59