Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plainsville economy - CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

63% (02:25) correct 36% (01:41) wrong based on 11 sessions
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.
3. The argument by the citizens’ group relies on which one of the following assumptions?
(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it.
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council.
(E) Plainsville’s economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens’ group is built.
4. Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?
(A) Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest.
(B) Any goal that includes helping the economy of a community will require public revenues in order to be achieved.
(C) Anyone planning to use resources collected from a group must consult the members of the group before using the resources.
(D) Any cause worth committing oneself to must include specific goals toward which one can work.
(E) Any cause not pursued by public officials, if it is to be pursued at all, must be pursued by members of the community.

-If you like my post, consider giving KUDOS

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 6

Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 11:16
is it E and C? Will explain if my pick is correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 22:46
E and A respectively
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 23:32
1) i am not covinced but POE says E
2) A for sure.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 00:04
1E
2A

for sure
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 243

Kudos [?]: 609 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 00:21
For Q3, B is certainly the answer. It's important to identify the conclusion of the Citizens' group's argument. The conclusion is not that the park is better for the economy than the highway. The conclusion is that the mayor 'must have interests other than the economy in mind' in choosing to build the highway (and if you weren't sure what the conclusion was, notice that in Q4, they tell you!). So the conclusion of their argument is entirely about the mayor, and his or her motivations for choosing to build the highway.

Now, the citizens' group claims that the park is of greater economic benefit than the highway. Well, it's still possible that the mayor is truly only motivated by economics, but the mayor disagrees with the group's claim; the mayor might legitimately believe the highway helps the economy most. The group's conclusion, that the mayor 'must have interests other than the economy in mind', is only valid if the mayor actually agrees that the park is better for the economy than the highway is, but has chosen to build the highway anyway. So B is an assumption in the argument.

Q4 doesn't seem like a good question at all to me, but A is the only answer that seems to make sense. I've never seen a remotely similar question on the real GMAT however.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 05:29
1st question
this argument can be easily narowd 2 B and E

E can be ruled out since E talks about the reason why Plainsville’s economy will not be helped but doesnt talk about Mayors' interests other than economy.

In B, mayor by not accepting that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway, points out Mayor's interest other than the economy.

There4 B for the 1st one.

Didnt try 2nd question.

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 12:04
was just looking at this question.

OA for 3 is B.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 03:12
Yeah i agree. B is the correct answer for 3. But really confused about 4 though.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 04:09
3 E
4 A
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 02:39
my ans are E and A
reasons:
3)Plainsville’s economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens’ group is built.--------negate this --------- plainsville economy will BE helped UNLESS a new business park comes up !. this essentially means that a business park will not help or business park is not a good thing !
i don't know how official ans can be B , people saying so please specify the source.

4) this one is confusing , but i'll go with A the reason being the tone

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 17:19
I see why B is the answer for 3. To attack the mayor the intention of the mayor has to be fixed. It wont be easy to hit a running bullet :o . B says it all. Mayor intentions are darn clear, now attack it citizens!!!

(E) Plainsville’s economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens’ group is built. - E is assuming ALL or Nothing- keyword "NOT be helped unless". E cannot be the GMAT answer.

(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business. - C on the other hand is assuming "Nothing" - keyword "NO benefits". C cannot be gmat answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 187

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Plainsville economy - CR [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 11:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Plainsville economy - CR   [#permalink] 16 May 2014, 11:51