Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plan for last 15 days.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 27

Plan for last 15 days. [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 11:00
Hi,

I am writing GMAT on the 18th of May.
I took two tests - Manhattan and GMATPrep, scoring 620 and 630.

In quant my weakness is that I am taking too long to solve some problems.
Apart from it , I realised that my weak areas are Prime factors, probability and combinations.

These are the materials that i use to practice.

1) Official Guide.

2) For sentence correction- 1000 series.

3) Critical Reasoning - LSAT and 1000 series.

I wish to practice the questions as many as i can.
Is this material ideal for preparation or is there anything else that is better?
Also, it would be great if someone can suggest me good practice books for problem solving and data sufficiency.
I want this to be at a tougher level.

I am not someone who tries to make specific target on aptitude tests, I just try to give my best shot at preparation.
That being said, i would love to know from someone the ideal preparation in each section to score atleast a 700.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Plan for last 15 days. [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 21:19
I want to suggest some strategies to crack Quant.
What is tested?
The level of Math-skills required is of High-school level.
All the stuff tested here is on "the basics". One should be thorough in basic formulae and concepts to crack the Quantitative section of GMAT.
Time-Strategy:
Time may not be a big constraint while solving the 'Quantitative' section.
For Quantitative section, the given 75 minutes to solve 37 Q's leaves us a solid 2 minutes (or 120 seconds) time for each Q'. But as a PS problem generally takes lesser time than a DS one takes, there is no strict emphasis on limiting each problem to 2 minutes. One problem may take 150 seconds while the other may take 90 seconds only. So instead of keeping track on time taken for each problem, it is better to have an overall track on a bunch of problems (say 5 or 10 at a time). Keeping this in mind while practicing problems builds one's confidence in tackling any issues with time.
"Calculations performed in mind save a lot of time when compared to calculations put on paper"
Silly Mistakes:
Don't be too fast while solving the problems. Even if you are strong in Quant section, go with a balanced approach. Be careful with the traps. More balance is required especially in dealing with DS problems as we are more prone to traps there.
After completing OG material,try out some advanced Quant books like Manhattan etc., to get more varieties of flavour. Go through the challenge Q's, 700-800 level Q's on prominent sites and materials.
DS-Strategy:
DS Q' is a bit difficult in the sense that it requires a bit more time to solve when copmapred to a PS Q'. It requires a careful approach which deals a step by step elimination of the options.If one does not follow the process, there is a high chance of landing on a wrong choice.Weigh the two given statements independently to decide whether either one alone is enough to answer. If both the statements are not independently enough to solve the problem, then check whether both the statements together can do.
At this level, you might be knowing much of this stuff. But I thought summing up these points at one place might help to some extent if not much.
All the best.

Ravi Sankar Vemuri

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [0], given: 165

Re: Plan for last 15 days. [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 22:52
Expert's post
nkimidi7y wrote:
Hi,

I am writing GMAT on the 18th of May.
I took two tests - Manhattan and GMATPrep, scoring 620 and 630.

In quant my weakness is that I am taking too long to solve some problems.
Apart from it , I realised that my weak areas are Prime factors, probability and combinations.

These are the materials that i use to practice.

1) Official Guide.

2) For sentence correction- 1000 series.

3) Critical Reasoning - LSAT and 1000 series.

I wish to practice the questions as many as i can.
Is this material ideal for preparation or is there anything else that is better?
Also, it would be great if someone can suggest me good practice books for problem solving and data sufficiency.
I want this to be at a tougher level.

I am not someone who tries to make specific target on aptitude tests, I just try to give my best shot at preparation.
That being said, i would love to know from someone the ideal preparation in each section to score atleast a 700.

Thanks.

One thing that comes to mind immediately is that you are not going through the theory of Quant and Verbal sections. Though the theory isn't much, it can be very useful since it could help you channelize your thoughts in the right direction immediately. Just practicing questions may not make a big difference. First go through a complete study set (or only the topics you are particularly weak in if you are short on time) and then practice from various sources. If I were you, I wouldn't care very much about P&C but I would certainly work on prime numbers (i.e. number properties).

Also, OG Quant questions are not sufficient for 700+ level. I would suggest the advanced word problems book of Veritas for 700+ level question of Quant. You can also check out the Veritas RC book (since you don't seem to have any material for RC) which has required theory and lots of high level practice questions.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Plan for last 15 days. [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 10:17
Thank you for the inputs Sankar.
Manager
Manager

Re: Plan for last 15 days. [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 10:22
Hello Karishma,

I had gone through the theory once. Is that not going to be sufficient?
For Verbal, I had gone through Princeton review and brushed up my basics with Wren and Martin and made notes of it.

For quant review, I had gone through some chapters of Nova series and would definitely explore more sources.
Do you think these are sufficient with respect to basics?
Re: Plan for last 15 days.   [#permalink] 01 May 2012, 10:22