Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plan to retake GMAT in a month's time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Plan to retake GMAT in a month's time [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 08:04
Hi all,

I did my 2nd GMAT Exam today and the result is a disappointing 580 - my new low score among all the practices and GMAT Exam I had to date. My last GMAT exam score was 650 and 2 weeks ago I was able to hit over 700+ for some practice tests in Veritas and MGMAT, so need no say that I am utterly disappointed and lost. My instructor told me that my problem was not that I did not work hard enough, but working too hard, I did 2 practice tests in one day especially for last few days and my mind practically drained, and saw the points kept going downhill since last 5 tests.

Nonetheless, I chose not to get beaten and am fired up to go for another exam in a month's time or so, but this time I will needa set it right. My last problem that I spent too much time hitting on every single question out there and did not review my errors. Moreover, I keep on focusing on the questions and practice test but had not once questioned at my approach at GMAT. Gmatpill from the forum gave a quote that is quite right: the definition of insanity --Doing the same thing you've been doing an expecting a different result each time. I need to relook at my approach and focus on my weaknesses. I have spent the afternoon thinking about where I screwed up and have some findings as below:

1. Inequalities - something I hate and GMAT loves, esp when it comes to DS. It is not that I can't do it, it's just that I am not patience enough to plug in numbers to solve the question. Guessing is my primary strategy to it, and yes, I know, that's my problem

2. CR - similar to RC, I have a problem of reading text. I understand every single word in the question, but I tend to lose focus and have to reread the the question couple times until I regain my focus and understand the question. English is not my first language, but heck, I don't think I am that bad in reading, though sometimes I do think that the way GMAT expresses its question can be somewhat convoluting.

3. SC - it was not so much of a problem until that I found out that the SC has become harder on this year's test, as told by my coach.

4. Mental game - my recently discovered largest weakness and thus largest cause for my screw up. Until recently that I find I could barely understand a passage even though I understood every single word. The issue is that at most time after i read the passage, my mind went blank and forgot what I have read. I took note to help my understanding and keep focus, but it did not help much at the end. And when I found out that time I am 5-6 minutes behind time, I freaked out and answered some questions blindly, and screwed up the exam. I need to find a way to stay calm and cool.

I plan to retake the test in a month or so. I will not doing anything tonight (just opened up a bottle of red wine to ease my pain), but will start to map out my revision plan on Sunday. Have looked at some of the post and some mentioned the error log, I have no idea what it is and how to use it, if there is any thread guide recommended, that will be great. I also heard about Knewton, is that useful for one like me who has already attended GMAT classes before?

My third approach will be my last and I have to get it right. Your advice, experience and words of encouragement are important.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Knewton GMAT Representative
Schools: BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: Plan to retake GMAT in a month's time [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 13:21
Chenlo,

Sounds like you have put a lot of work and thought into your GMAT preparation. Nice work.

Your troublespots are not uncommon and we'd be happy to help. You can tailor the course to suit your needs.

Plus if you don't go up by at least 50 points, you'll get a full refund.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Josh

Josh Anish
Senior Editor
Knewton, Inc

Free GMAT Club tests ($250 value) in addition to any other discounts or coupons when you buy the Knewton Course with KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club discount code.
Use this promo code when you sign up for Knewton: KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Plan to retake GMAT in a month's time [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 21:24
Hi Josh,

How's the cost and schedule looking?
Knewton GMAT Representative
Schools: BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: Plan to retake GMAT in a month's time [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 05:26
Thanks for the note.

Here is the schedule. Plus you can also watch any class on demand any time you want.

http://www.knewton.com/gmat/schedule

You'll get access to:
-36 of classroom time
-3400+ practice questions
-5 awesome CATs
-top technology, etc

All for only $690. Plus you can get the GMAT Club Tests for free when you sign up if you use this promo code:

KNEWTONBEST-GMAT-CLUB

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Josh

Josh Anish
Senior Editor
Knewton, Inc

Free GMAT Club tests ($250 value) in addition to any other discounts or coupons when you buy the Knewton Course with KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club discount code.
Use this promo code when you sign up for Knewton: KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club

Re: Plan to retake GMAT in a month's time   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2010, 05:26