Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 118

Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 02:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:17) correct 50% (01:45) wrong based on 100 sessions
Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution. A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the logic employed by the city planners?

a) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years.
b) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants.
c) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities.
d) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system.
e) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain.

OA is provided. I am not convinced about it though.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why not C? Infact the stimulus never mentions anything about acid rain so isn't E out of scope.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sycamore trees and pollution [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 07:25
a) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years.
Irrelevent. Trees can be replanted at the end of 50 years.
b) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants.
Irrelevent. No one knows will it lead to low pollution levels, i.e. numbers of cars may grow, polluting agents can be different from cars, who knows?
c) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities.
Irrelevent. The fact that it is the most common tree does not affect the argument i.e. it does not reflect whether it will be suitable for City X as well.
d) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system.
Same as B.
e) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain.
Clearly demonstrates that the plan by city planners will not succeed. Acid rain, a by-product of pollution, may kill these trees. Though acid rain is not discussed but its relation with pollution is a basic knowledge, i.e. anyone hoping to do an mba should know it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 118

Re: Sycamore trees and pollution [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 07:34
The reason I did not choose E is - In CR & RC I thought we are expected to use information and data provided in the question and not from outside. Infact outside information can be used to eliminate choices.

As for C - Since it says they are common trees I went with the deduction that the sick trees also include sycamore trees and hence planting them again will not help.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Sycamore trees and pollution [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
I attended session with Ron purewal. He told outside the scope is good weakner. Hope that helps.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 17:56
this OA is debatable. Acid rain is never mentioned. What if the city under consideration has scanty rainfall?

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Sycamore trees and pollution [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 03:05
suchoudh wrote:
Irrelevent. Trees can be replanted at the end of 50 years.
Irrelevent. No one knows will it lead to low pollution levels, i.e. numbers of cars may grow, polluting agents can be different from cars, who knows?
Irrelevent. The fact that it is the most common tree does not affect the argument i.e. it does not reflect whether it will be suitable for City X as well.
Same as B.
Clearly demonstrates that the plan by city planners will not succeed. Acid rain, a by-product of pollution, may kill these trees. Though acid rain is not discussed but its relation with pollution is a basic knowledge, i.e. anyone hoping to do an mba should know it.

Here the relation of acid rain is not something which is a basic knowledge...acid rain is related to water pollutants...thus thousgh sycamore tress thrive on air pollutants they may surrender to water pollutants that is acid rain....so this weakesns the plan
Re: Sycamore trees and pollution   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2014, 03:05