Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 09:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:08) correct 46% (01:11) wrong based on 26 sessions
Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution. A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the logic employed by the city planners?

A) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years.
B) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants.
C) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities.
D) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system.
E) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 30 Jun 2013, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - City Planners [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 10:38
[quote="rdg"]Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution. A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the logic employed by the city planners?

A) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years.
B) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants.
C) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities.
D) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system.
E) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain.[/quote]

My Answer: E
Assumption is that sick trees are not Sycamore and the new trees will be able to withstand both air and water pollution. Sycamore is good against air pollution. Acid rain is water pollution and Sycamore is sensitive to it.

We need to prove why Sycamores are not correct choice.
A we dont know if oak will withstand air and water pollution in cities
B It will reduce air pollution not water pollution
C You cant apply a generic statement to a specific city.
D same logic as B
E Looks most promising - though not sure
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 10:41
I think it's E. Although carbon monoxide is the main pollutant emitted by automobiles, it is not the only one. Therefore, there might be other pollutants that could damage sycamore trees, making city's policy of replacing other sick trees ineffective . Choice E is the only choice that addresses this issue.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 12:08
Yeah E...the city is only addressing half of the problem in Air pollution, and ignoring water pollution

wall street...bulls, bears, people from connecticut

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 19:16
(E)

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - City Planners [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 19:30
rdg wrote:
Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution. A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.

E) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain.

I would like to choose B here.

In E we are assuming that the city faces the problem of acid rain. That is no where mentioned in the argument as a possibility. E for me is irrelevant.

On the other hand, the argument says that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. When Automobile manufacturers introduce newer car models, that emit significantly fewer pollutants then sycamore trees may not thrive. And who knows, they may even die. Hence, B seems the answer to me.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - City Planners [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 19:50
aurobindo wrote:

In E we are assuming that the city faces the problem of acid rain. That is no where mentioned in the argument as a possibility. E for me is irrelevant.

On the other hand, the argument says that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. When Automobile manufacturers introduce newer car models, that emit significantly fewer pollutants then sycamore trees may not thrive. And who knows, they may even die. Hence, B seems the answer to me.

You are right .... didn't read it that closely and missed "the main pollutant emitted by automobiles" part .... shame on me .....

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - City Planners [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:01
aurobindo wrote:
rdg wrote:

I would say B is out of scope. Just because car manufacturers are building cars w/ fewer pollutants, we cannot assume that they will even be sold in City X, or that people in City X will drive these cars.

D is close, as it directly attacks carbon monoxide as the cause for thriving trees. But I dont think its strong enough, why did no one choose D, I wonder?

E does make the assumption that water pollution=acid rain, as mentioned in the stem:
trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution.

Test day I would have chosen E.
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:07
rdg, What is the OA?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:45
OA ia 'E'

Choices (B) and (D) are out of scope; the city’s plan concerns the resistance of trees to carbon monoxide, not the potential lower level of carbon monoxide in the future. Choice (C) is irrelevant. Choice (E) provides information that suggests that the city’s plan won’t work: while sycamores thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, they are extremely sensitive to another pollutant that exists in City X. (E) is therefore the credited answer.
Director
Director

Re: CR - City Planners [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:45
buckkitty wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
rdg wrote:

I would say B is out of scope. Just because car manufacturers are building cars w/ fewer pollutants, we cannot assume that they will even be sold in City X, or that people in City X will drive these cars.

D is close, as it directly attacks carbon monoxide as the cause for thriving trees. But I dont think its strong enough, why did no one choose D, I wonder?

E does make the assumption that water pollution=acid rain, as mentioned in the stem:
trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution.

Test day I would have chosen E.

In D we are assuming that many low exhaust buses were introduced and they will have impact over the pollution levels. What if the no of buses is very small. D is also assuming that buses emit carbon monoxide. Argument talks about only automobiles when talking about carbon monoxide.

I am not sure whether buses come under automobiles. Do they?:?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 21:14
Because of air and water polution trees were dying.

Sycamore trees thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Options (B) and (D) both support and help to keep Sycamore tree thrive in city's environment.

But, what about water polution? Therefore, option (E) weakens the the logic employed by the city planners.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 01:58
rdg wrote:
Because of air and water polution trees were dying.

Sycamore trees thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Options (B) and (D) both support and help to keep Sycamore tree thrive in city's environment.

But, what about water polution? Therefore, option (E) weakens the the logic employed by the city planners.

U mean acid rain is a pollutant? As far as I understand acid rains occur when the level of SO2 in air goes to a very high level. SO2 is not even mentioned in the argument.

anyways...OA is OA :lol:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 04:19
rdg wrote:

Bumping this thread. Can anyone point out what is the OA and OE for this one.
Is the OE
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E, to me C sounds valid as if Sycamore trees are already widely prevalent, and they are dying, then adding new Sycamore will not help.
Sulphur dioxide is not mentioned anywhere, it looks quite a big leap to assume that one of pollutants is Sulphur dioxide
Re: Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2013, 04:19