Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planning for Business School - Seeking advice.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 322
Location: Texas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 17:17
Hello Gmatclubbers,

I am planning to apply to business schools in 2011 (basically three years from now), and I created a rough timeline to go by, so I could complete the necessary items within this time frame. I have done a lot of research on the individual business schools I am interested in, and even looked over the application process; however, I am still seeking advice from others who had gone through the process to help me shape up my business school timeline.

June 2008 – June 2009 Study & take the GMAT, get involved in extra curricular activities, research schools
June 2009 – June 2010 Start visiting schools, start outlining essays
June 2010 – June 2011 Finish essays, start getting letters of recommendations, apply to top choices

I will have roughly 3 years WE. My degree is in B.S. ChemE, so I am a little skeptical about my essay writing skills. Also, I was not actively involved in any sort of club during undergrad.

I am seeking advice on tips on how to strengthen the essays, how to get involved outside of work, and any pitfalls to avoid during the application process. I have started reading Montauk’s book as well, but I am seeking some personal experience. I know I didn’t list my gpa or GMAT scores, because I do not want this to be a “rate my profile” thread (I will make one of those after I actually take the GMAT :lol: ), but more of a thread where I can get application process pacing advice to have a successful application cycle.

I know plans change, but I am the type of person that likes to follow some sort of plan. I am not sure if I am overdoing it, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, maybe this rough timeline could possibly help others in a similar position planning out their next three years to get into the school of their dreams.

I would also like to thank everyone thus far that has helped me greatly through pm’s and on the forum.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 10:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
I am applying for fall '09 admission myself, so I'm still in the same boat as you in many respects. My only advice would be to focus your GMAT studying time. Decide that you will study for the entire summer, and take the exam that Sept for example. Dragging it out over the course of a year seems like a waste of time and energy.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 453
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 10:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
kudos for starting early although some might reckon you are startnig really early!!

getting the GMAT out of the way is a good start .... aside from find something you enjoy outside of work and really pursue it. And no this does not mean set the new HS on GTAIV

89nk wrote:
Hello Gmatclubbers,

I am planning to apply to business schools in 2011 (basically three years from now), and I created a rough timeline to go by, so I could complete the necessary items within this time frame. I have done a lot of research on the individual business schools I am interested in, and even looked over the application process; however, I am still seeking advice from others who had gone through the process to help me shape up my business school timeline.

June 2008 – June 2009 Study & take the GMAT, get involved in extra curricular activities, research schools
June 2009 – June 2010 Start visiting schools, start outlining essays
June 2010 – June 2011 Finish essays, start getting letters of recommendations, apply to top choices

I will have roughly 3 years WE. My degree is in B.S. ChemE, so I am a little skeptical about my essay writing skills. Also, I was not actively involved in any sort of club during undergrad.

I am seeking advice on tips on how to strengthen the essays, how to get involved outside of work, and any pitfalls to avoid during the application process. I have started reading Montauk’s book as well, but I am seeking some personal experience. I know I didn’t list my gpa or GMAT scores, because I do not want this to be a “rate my profile” thread (I will make one of those after I actually take the GMAT :lol: ), but more of a thread where I can get application process pacing advice to have a successful application cycle.

I know plans change, but I am the type of person that likes to follow some sort of plan. I am not sure if I am overdoing it, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, maybe this rough timeline could possibly help others in a similar position planning out their next three years to get into the school of their dreams.

I would also like to thank everyone thus far that has helped me greatly through pm’s and on the forum.

_________________

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 11:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
That is very long term...my advice focus on excelling at work. Moving up the ladder quickly will do far more than all the preps you will do. Also get involved in extra curricular activities.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597
Location: Detroit, MI
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 11:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with River, but if you are set on studying and getting the GMAT out of the way, I would recommend a target of 3 months, not a year. Focus and study hard for 3 months, and then take it and evaluate your performance. I would set the test date after about a month into your prep, so you have a concrete goal to work towards.

Just curious, why are you waiting till 2011?

~Sam
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 498
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 11:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
I think getting the gmat out of the way early is a great idea. It will help you see what school choices are realistic. I have to say the "average ranking" of schools I plaaned to apply to moved up by about 20 places after I took my gmat.
Of course fit with the school is important, but there are usually a couple that would work well for differnt types of people. KNowing if you should aim at the top-10, top 25 , or top 50 should be very helpful.
I almost took my gmat too late and as such would have aimed too low!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 64
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 11:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
Another advantage to writing the GMAT early is the opportunity to retake it if you want to be competitive for scholarships. If your first score is 700 (average for applying to top schools) but you're confident you can bump it up to 750 by studying more for a second attempt, it is much easier to manage before you get into the heat of working on your essays and recommendation letters.

I think schools offer funding awards to the top 25% of their class (my perception from what I've read... anyone who has better information should enlighten me if I'm wrong!) and having a higher GMAT score will boost your chances by a lot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 322
Location: Texas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 14:50
riverripper wrote:
That is very long term...my advice focus on excelling at work. Moving up the ladder quickly will do far more than all the preps you will do. Also get involved in extra curricular activities.


I am graduating this week, and start a full-time job next month, so I am not sure how quickly I can move up the ladder. I do plan on putting in my best effort and hitting that learning curve hard to get a good kick off start. Someone told me that the initial impact can set your career growth pace. Not sure if I fully comprehended what he had meant, but that is how I translated it. Can you expand on some points that would help someone to 'move up the ladder' in an industry?

sam77sam7 wrote:
Just curious, why are you waiting till 2011?
~Sam


I am a fresh graduate. My work experience is roughly 3 months as a engineer, and years of experience in the restaurant business, since it is family owned. I planned on working for 2 to 3 years, before applying to business school; however, 2 years seemed a little rushed so I extended it to 3 years. This might change depending on whether I feel I have accomplished enough in 2 years to make a good enough application to have a shot at the schools I want to attend.
Although, I would like to start business school as early as possible, I really want to go to a specific school, which is why I thought the 3 year planning was necessary. Do you think that I should apply earlier or any advice on the timeline?

westsider wrote:
It will help you see what school choices are realistic.
Of course fit with the school is important, but there are usually a couple that would work well for different types of people. Knowing if you should aim at the top-10, top 25 , or top 50 should be very helpful.


I was thinking the same thing, which is why I planned to take it early. I am shooting for a 760+ score :wink: , but all in all I wanted to take the GMAT early to get a gauge on realistic target schools. How did you find your 'fit' with a school? I am thinking of visiting the five schools that I would like to apply and wouldn't mind to attend. I thought that i would engage with students and professors during the visits to find my 'fit' or 'unfit' with the school. This sounds pricey.

FairPlay wrote:
Another advantage to writing the GMAT early is the opportunity to retake it if you want to be competitive for scholarships. If your first score is 700 (average for applying to top schools) but you're confident you can bump it up to 750 by studying more for a second attempt, it is much easier to manage before you get into the heat of working on your essays and recommendation letters.

I think schools offer funding awards to the top 25% of their class (my perception from what I've read... anyone who has better information should enlighten me if I'm wrong!) and having a higher GMAT score will boost your chances by a lot.


I became unsure about how much a higher GMAT would boost applicants chances looking at the no admit thread. Also, I am unsure how multiple GMAT scores are looked upon by adcoms. If someone could expand on these two points that would be great.

Thank you for everyones post.
Re: Planning for Business School - Seeking advice.   [#permalink] 13 May 2008, 14:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT 710 - planning to retake, seeking advice nikhil.jones.s 6 17 Jan 2014, 16:11
Experts publish their posts in the topic Advice on Business Schools to apply to digienthu2 4 05 Sep 2013, 18:56
British Applicant to US B-Schools Seeking Advice SamUK 3 14 Aug 2010, 23:20
Seeking your advice on MBA schools to apply to dancys 1 12 Aug 2010, 06:58
Entrepreneurship in B-School-seeking advice dghazer 2 02 Jun 2008, 14:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Planning for Business School - Seeking advice.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.