Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planning for MBA in Fall 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 08:13
ThomasD wrote:
Hey guys,
may I join the group? Shooting to apply to the top general managment programs in R1 for 2011 matriculation. I am currently planning to take the GMAT as early as mid February to allow for a possible retake and plenty of time on school research and essay prep time. I have so far studied about 1 month an hour a day plus/minus. See my post here: am-i-ready-to-take-the-gmat-88895.html

Thomas Absolutely you are welcome ! pls Share your impressions on this Forum.. Good Luck for your Prep.

The Greatest Mistake you can make in Life is Continually be afraid you will make one - Elbert Hubbard

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 12:54
Hey all,
Figured I'd post here and bump this back to the first page of topics. I've been studying like crazy lately but it doesn't seem to be paying off. Two weeks ago I took MGMAT 1 and got a 660 (Q44 V36). A few days ago I took MGMAT 2 and got a 650 (43Q V36). I've done the Kaplan Premier Book, the Kaplan Math Workbook and am working thru the OG 11. I ordered the MGMAT Number Properties book to solidify my math basics. It's discouraging to work hard and then see your score pretty much remain the same. Any advice? I really want a 700+ score and my exam is in about 7 weeks.

Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 14:17
Hi Perseverance,

I don't have much advice to offer at the moment, but your numbers strike me as similar to mine. I have only taken the MGMAT 1 so far 650 (Q44/V35), but scored significantly higher on the Kaplan Premier CAT and the first GMATprep CAT I took. Have you taken any of those yet? I am just curious, if you might do better on those. It'd be good for the morale to see a higher. Of course, it wouldnt mean that you master all the concepts, as both your and my MGMAT results suggest we do not master all the concepts.
See here for my journey so far: am-i-ready-to-take-the-gmat-88895.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 19:35
Hey Thomas,
Our numbers do look very similar. I took GMATPrep1 back before I started studying and got a 630 (Q38 V38). So I don't know if that means anything but I've been studying for about 5 weeks now and to see my quant increase on the MGMAT is encouraging but to see my verbal decrease is not encouraging at all. I've been doing some research on the MGMAT CATs and it seems like a lot of people that scored in the mid 600s on the MGMAT CATs were scoring in the 710-730 range on the real exam. It seems like the MGMAT CATs are about 50-70 points lower than the actual GMAT. Hopefully the same holds true for us. This is just pure speculation however.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Perseverance,
First of all Congratulations for cracking 650 Mark both in 1st and 2 nd try.
I dunno what i am doing is going to make any sense or not.But Dont feel Bad abt it Buddy!Instead of Seeing it as 660 is not 700 try to see it as you are just short of 50 points to crack the 700 club.

Have you done any of the Following
1.Did you Done any Observation why your Score Dipped 10 points from the 1st try.

2. Are you having a Error Log with you for both the tests. If yes Run over them to find the No. Of questions Wrong, No.of Guesses.

3.Apart from Error Log. May i suggest here something called 'PREP OBSERVATION LOG'

Say in my case.
I have started with Maths Foundation.In my Life So far for me Concept is never a Problem i have the Weird way of Making Silly and Careless Mistakes which conciously i would think i am making it r8. this happened twice in the Prep NOw. But after i made this Observation that Avoid Silly Mistakes in a Note and Keep putting this in my Mind repeatedly. Trust me it helped me and So far I could Control Myself and i am getting Good results this is a Little Observation but it helped me.

I know you may be Doing this already but at this point of time these are the points i have it my arsenal.
I will be happy if this Helps.
And Pls we have still 7 weeks which as precious as anything let us not Keep us down any time during this 7 weeks and let us Work Harder after all these Score what do they tell us we need little more effort.I know saying is Easy Action is Harder.but Hey! sometimes Talks do Magic. Trust me I have a Belief That you will Crack 700 in your next try. All the Best Warrior.

The Greatest Mistake you can make in Life is Continually be afraid you will make one - Elbert Hubbard

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
vasanthanand,
Thanks for the inspiration. I really appreciate it. I've made a few careless mistakes on both tests, especially in Quant and SC. I've created error logs for both tests and I think that really helped with what I need to focus on, namely Number Properties (recently got the MGMAT Num. Prop. book) and RC.

And you're right, 7 weeks is a long time to polish our skills. I'm taking the 3rd MGMAT CAT in about a week and a half. I'll be sure to post the results of it as well as the progression of my prep.

How is your prep going? Have you done any practice CATs?
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 09:31
Hei You welcome!
At least at this moment that is all i can do.
per my PREP i have started only this week.I am more like a Want to Know the Subject first before Getting the Road.So I started with the Math Foundation Book.I am Slow learner so I started I will ratify my Prep sooner.But aprt from that i have made my mind take the ist Diag end of Jan 2010 and will post my Progress daily.
Also i started making Notecards so probably what iam thinking is Something like a Scanner to scan my NOtecard and Put in a Softcopy i know its tough to Get a Handwriting to be Scanned to a Typeset.But worst case i will scan them some time in a month or month and a half.

Thanks

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 09:32
perseverance wrote:
Hey all,
Figured I'd post here and bump this back to the first page of topics. I've been studying like crazy lately but it doesn't seem to be paying off. Two weeks ago I took MGMAT 1 and got a 660 (Q44 V36). A few days ago I took MGMAT 2 and got a 650 (43Q V36). I've done the Kaplan Premier Book, the Kaplan Math Workbook and am working thru the OG 11. I ordered the MGMAT Number Properties book to solidify my math basics. It's discouraging to work hard and then see your score pretty much remain the same. Any advice? I really want a 700+ score and my exam is in about 7 weeks.

Thanks!

you know what as a Appreciation +1

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 18:31
Hey Guys, great spirit! Keep it up. To distract ourselves a little but from the GMAT, what schools are you guys targeting?
Personally, I am envisioning myself working in Biotech bridging scientific project management and strategic company positioning. HBS and Wharton really have a lot of faculty doing research in the Biotech/Pharmaceutical field and are thus really attractive to me - but both schools really are long shots with my background. We'll see....I really do believe though that if one wants an MBA, one needs to get it from a school with as much 'brand power' as possible.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 13:00
Hey Thomas,
I'm Finance/International Business oriented, so the schools I'm targeting are Booth, NYU, and Columbia. Might change in the next few months due a few extenuating circumstances but for now that's the plan.

Back to the GMAT, because I seem to be obsessed with this beast :twisted: ; I just rescheduled my exam for 5 weeks from today. I think that will give me the correct amount of time to finish my studies as well as take the proper amount of practice exams.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 13:22
i dreamt about this gmat beast last night, i think i need to tone my studying down a bit, still got what 5.5 weeks ahead of me and i dont want to go nuts...

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 13:28
ThomasD wrote:
i dreamt about this gmat beast last night, i think i need to tone my studying down a bit, still got what 5.5 weeks ahead of me and i dont want to go nuts...

Haha seems like all I do is sleep, work, eat, GMAT. [Repeat] Hey, whatever it takes. In 5 weeks it'll all be over.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 19:55
Hi amp0201, perseverance, vasanthanand, coolprasanth, cynthiarenu, gutie859, carriedinterest, ThomasD,
I am joining the band for Fall 2011 application.. Good luck and Lets play together.. :)
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 04:27
post2pras wrote:
Hi amp0201, perseverance, vasanthanand, coolprasanth, cynthiarenu, gutie859, carriedinterest, ThomasD,
I am joining the band for Fall 2011 application.. Good luck and Lets play together.. :)

Welcome post2pras!
What stage are you in? Have you taken your gmat or are you preparing for it?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 10:47
Welcome to the club within the club 8-)

Intern
Intern

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 11:28
Thanks.. And am yet to give the GMAT.. would do so by June most likely
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 14:41
If I may ask, how come you want to wait so long? When do plan to start prepping, I wouldn't want to prep for 6months. I can see the burnout starting with me now after roughly 1.5months. Also, take into consideration if by any chance you are not happy with your GMAT numbers, you will have to wait 31 days to retake it, then it may be July or even August and you'll still have to do all the background research for your apps and work on your letters. If you have the time, I'd say take the GMAT earlier

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 15:06
Welcome to the Club post2pras..All the Best.
Thomas.D my Apologies for not replying the Post and to Perseverance too..
Well Currently I am looking forward for any schools from Top5- Top15.
The area I want to Focus more is Entrepreneurship with Technology Concentration which will enable me to provide Strategic Consulting and Eventually Venturing into a Tech Startup.

Looks like i have to diggin deeper than i Expected for Quant..I dont know about Verbal now.
Hei Guys!
how do you attack a word problem.
Cos I would say I totally Dumbfounded to Decode them into Questions Any tips and Tricks or Any notes for basics.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 17:37
ThomasD wrote:
If I may ask, how come you want to wait so long? When do plan to start prepping, I wouldn't want to prep for 6months. I can see the burnout starting with me now after roughly 1.5months. Also, take into consideration if by any chance you are not happy with your GMAT numbers, you will have to wait 31 days to retake it, then it may be July or even August and you'll still have to do all the background research for your apps and work on your letters. If you have the time, I'd say take the GMAT earlier

I agree 100% with Thomas. I feel burnout starting too and I'm starting to make really stupid mistakes on the practice questions. 6 months is a long time. I'd say take it by end of April at the latest.
Intern
Intern

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 20:35
Hi Thomas and Pereseverance,
I have a few issues that make me think i shud take it after a full shot..

1. I work full time and do not want to underestimate my work pressure while calculating the study time..
2. Its been years since i solved a simple mathematical problem and want to run through from the basics..
3. I can give the GMAT only once at any cost.. so just taking a safer step here..

So I just plan for four months preparation from now.. which i found is almost a little more than the norm.. June is my worst case scenario.. Mid May is what i intend most likely.. Do you still think it cud burn me out?

Also I had a few things on my mind..
1. What are your book sets?
2. Where are you guys?
3. Are you clear with your career plans?
4. When are you giving GMAT?
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2010, 20:35