Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planning for MBA in Fall 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 17:04
mbalady wrote:
Congratulations Perseverance! Did you start any b school specific stuff?

Thanks mbalady! I actually just started the 'research' phase. I'm happy I finished the important GMAT step. I have plenty of time to research and visit schools before I start the essays etc. What step in the process are you at?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 17:23
Back in Dec I got a 680 GMAT with a low quant score (44) so I am in the starting to re-study phase lol (its been hard to get motivated to be honest). However I have done some research and have a short list of schools that I am targeting, have started to reach out to students and alumni, and have some visits scheduled for March and am planning a couple more for April so I am a bit into the research stage concurrently as well. I do need to focus more on the GMAT though. I def. wish you all the best through out the rest of this 'journey' we are embarking on
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 17:35
680 is a really good score. I commend you for studying and researching schools at the same time! All the best for your retake. Let me know how it goes and I'm sure I'll see you on the Schools forum.
Current Student
Schools: Duke

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 18:13
I just looked up my test center and it's on Cornell Drive......but I'm not superstitious....not at all, but funny regardless.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 11:52
Hey all, just wanted to get on the Fall 2011 applicant lists.

planning to retake the GMAT after i got 690 (back in 2007) just got over with an unsuccessful attempt for Fall 2010 admissions after not getting a single IV call from 3 schools i applied to.

Anyone in the same position as i am in.

Planning to retake the GMAT in March end. averaging 710 on my practice test scores(Manhattan,GMAT prep, Kaplan) targeting a 750. Need to up my verbal score which is averaging between 37-39 to hit 750. Quant im comfortable averaging 50-51..

Any advice, suggestions??

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 13:48
Good luck tomorrow Thomas! Kill it!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 21:29
Hey everybody

I just took the gmat and didnt fare at all :(...and am gunning for the May schedule. My basic areas of weakness are quant, since I didnt study maths after class 10th. My conceptual understanding itself is weak as a result I dont know how to interpret the quant questions.

my gmat score during prep 600, 34 q, 38 verbal
my real gmat score 500, 25 q, 34 verbal

Any tips on how should I restrategise for the coming months.

Cheers
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 20:10
bump. I bet you there is some newcomers that didn't dig far enough to find this thread

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 20:17
I am basically done with Quant and tackling verbal now. Got all the MGMAT books on verbal section, will keep you guys updated on the progress.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 15:35
ThomasD wrote:
Something I think is useful when you are still early on and use MGMAT books, plus some other book (Kaplan or the like), and the OG, do not do what MGMAT tells you to do: I would not go straight from finishing an MGMAT book chapter to solving the problems they suggest in the OG. Do their end of chapter problems and then find appropriate questions in the Kaplan book and apply/hone your skills there. Here is my reasoning: I want to tackle the OG last as a 'true' test to see if I really took the concepts to heart. Now to train and master the concepts, non-official questions should be sufficient. It will allow you to really test your grasp of the techniques on questions that came from the actual test in the OG.

I did not follow this strategy after the MGMAT CR and RC strategy guides. I went straight to the OG after each chapter, did those problems, and then did the MGMAT question banks. This was very demoralizing because I found the OG extremely easy, hitting around 95% accuracy on each of CR and RC sections. However, after finishing the OG and going back to the MGMAT online question banks, I decreased DRASTICALLY to around 80% accuracy. At first I thought it was because I was not used to the computer format, but I also did a question bank untimed and still my accuracy was shot. My conclusion is that MGMAT questions are very different from OG questions in that they are a lot harder.

My question is, are the 700-800 level questions in OG really representative of what will be seen on the GMAT for a 700-800 level tester, or is MGMAT more representative?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 15:37
username123 wrote:
ThomasD wrote:
Something I think is useful when you are still early on and use MGMAT books, plus some other book (Kaplan or the like), and the OG, do not do what MGMAT tells you to do: I would not go straight from finishing an MGMAT book chapter to solving the problems they suggest in the OG. Do their end of chapter problems and then find appropriate questions in the Kaplan book and apply/hone your skills there. Here is my reasoning: I want to tackle the OG last as a 'true' test to see if I really took the concepts to heart. Now to train and master the concepts, non-official questions should be sufficient. It will allow you to really test your grasp of the techniques on questions that came from the actual test in the OG.

I did not follow this strategy after the MGMAT CR and RC strategy guides. I went straight to the OG after each chapter, did those problems, and then did the MGMAT question banks. This was very demoralizing because I found the OG extremely easy, hitting around 95% accuracy on each of CR and RC sections. However, after finishing the OG and going back to the MGMAT online question banks, I decreased DRASTICALLY to around 80% accuracy. At first I thought it was because I was not used to the computer format, but I also did a question bank untimed and still my accuracy was shot. My conclusion is that MGMAT questions are very different from OG questions in that they are a lot harder.

My question is, are the 700-800 level questions in OG really representative of what will be seen on the GMAT for a 700-800 level tester, or is MGMAT more representative?

I really like ThomasD's strategy, but if it's true that tough OG questions are not as tough as what I will see on the GMAT, I am slightly scared that if I follow ThomasD's strategy of doing OG last, I will be overconfident and think I am prepared when I am really not...

Can anyone comment on this?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 05:10
coolprasanth wrote:
Guys,
Can anyone from India tell me where i can get the books recommended in this forum.
Like OG 11 and 12 edition,MGMAT book etc......

Prasanth... You can get those books from any of the universal book shops.. and if u need the MGMAT books i can send you the soft copy.. May be this can help you.

---------------
Wanna thank me.. kudos please :-D
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 08:38
Hey Guys,

well when I posted that approach, the approach was really meant to internalized the concepts MGMAT teaches and there I felt that of course if you do the OG problems right after you learned the concept you will know how to apply it and (hopefully) get the answers correct. However, the key thing IMO is that you have to really internalize the strategies, so I suggested two things:
a) Learn the strategies and learn them early on
b) Practice them with Kaplan material or the like and then at the end come back to the official questions and make sure that you can tackle those with the strategies you have learned.

This approach is irrespective of the question difficulty level and your target score.

With respect to your concerns over the difficulty of the OG questions and other prep material compared to the real GMAT, I mean go through this forum here and you will see that some feel one way and some feel another way. To me, OG questions (just like GMATprep) is material that comes from official retired GMAT question pools and as such I feel this is as close to real as you can get.

Hope this helps

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 22:40
hello all

Its a long time since I have studied and touched books

Thought I shud do mBA to do any business.

Well just browsing everywhere to get few books

I am still not sure if I know the whole procedure of getting into B schools

register for gmat,
write the exam
then wht is the next step

I would like to join in 2011... so by when shud i write the exams so that I can join as per my plan

Can someone plz help me out...

thanks
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2010, 22:40