Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2016, 19:28
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planning to Retake - First attempt at GMAT 610

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Planning to Retake - First attempt at GMAT 610 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 22:50
Hi All,

I have explored the forums here on GMATClub and the GMAT club tests and practice material. But to be honest, I haven't really contributed much at all on forums here.

I thought of sharing my GMAT experience here and was looking for suggestions/advice on how I can go about improving my score.

I started preparing for GMAT around mid-September. I was looking to give GMAT around Mid-December to have a shot at B-school deadlines.I gave a mock MGMAT test on which I scored 580 (Q41, V31).I knew my weak area was Quant and that I needed to work on it. So I started out with the MGMAT study guides for Quant and covered all of them.

Later I even reviewed the GMAT CLUB match book thoroughly as was suggested often on these forums. I did find it quite useful especially for some topics of Quant.

Parallely for Verbal, I signed up for E-GMAT's verbal course as I wanted to improve my accuracy on SC and CR. Since I had attended one of their free webinars and liked the approach, I went ahead and signed up for their Verbal online program. This helped me consolidate my Verbal scores.

For practice of Quant/Verbal, I basically covered OG 2016 and questions from GMAT club. I signed up for the GMAT question of the DAY here and would definitely try and solve the daily question. If not I would atleast make sure to understand the solution.

I registered for the GMAT date of Dec 18.

Mocks:

I only gave a couple of GMAT Club Quant CATS and one Verbal CAT.

Then I just did the two GMATprep Mock tests and following are my scores:

GMATPREP1 : Q44, V40 (Total: 690)
GMATPREP2 : Q49, V35 ( Total: 690) - Messed up my timing on Verbal else I could have crossed 700.

Then came test day. I just about managed to finish the AWA section in the nick of time. The IR section went reasonably fine ( got a score of 5).
Then started the Quant section; I was ok with the first few questions and marked the questions confidently. Then came a couple of tricky DS questions, where I thought I made some educated guesses as I did not want to end up with a lot of questions at the end with very little time. As I went on, I was getting some easy questions in between, which made me realize whether I had got some incorrect questions earlier in the section :(
I think my surprise and real shock was when I reached the last 10 questions and I still had around 20 m ins to do it. That had never happened to me on Quant in a Mock before. Although it was good from a time perspective, I kind of had the felling that something was not quite right. I finished the section on time and then moved on to Verbal.

Verbal started off well. I thought that my first few questions were correct. Got a couple of RC's in first 15-20 questions, which I think I answered correctly. Towards the end for the last 4-5 questions, I just was left with limited time, so I had to make educated guessed on 2-3 questions.

I was shocked when the scores came up . I got a 610 ( Q40 :o, V35). I was clearly devastated with my Quant scores. I could not figure what went wrong. Was it that I made some mistakes on relatively easy questions or that I got a bunch of consecutive questions wrong or was it something more fundamental??!!

I was disappointed because my score was way below the scores that I got on my GMATPREP mock tests :(
I am definitely planning to retake it in 2-3 months time as I feel I can do a lot better.

However I was looking for some advice on how to strengthen my Quant skills and improve my score. More importantly how can I consistently get good scores on my Quant so that I do not have to suffer a similar fate second time around.

Last edited by Drogon on 20 Dec 2015, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Planning to Retake - First attempt at GMAT 610 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 10:44
How did you score a 690 on GMATprep2 when your scores were lower than GMAtprep1?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 10:53
Sorry it was a typo, I edited the scores of my gmat prep2 . I got a 49 in Quant
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 2138 [0], given: 162

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 18:57
Hi Drogon,

First off, completing just 2 practice CATs is a relatively small number of CATs (and considering the 'swings' in your Scaled Scores, you didn't have enough information to properly define your overall skills). As to those CATs, I have a few questions:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

From what you describe, it looks like you studied for about 3 months, but it's not clear what you were doing during that time. Were there any 'gaps' in your studies? How many hours did you study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 20:13
Hi Rich,

Yeah, even I probably think that maybe I needed more practice and giving more CATS Will help me understand my problem areas so that I can improve second time around.

Regarding Mock Cats, I gave them at home and yes I skipped the essay and IR sections . Although I took the Mocks at the same time in morning as my exam time.

I have already provided my study plan for the 2-3 months in my detailed post above for my first attempt. Any suggestions on how should I go about second time around for Quant especially? Also whether I should refer to any additional resources that may be helpful.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 20:24
Also, although I have heard that the Enhanced Score report (ESR) doesn't provide a detailed analysis, I am planning to get it . I believe it would be worthwhile to me to know at least which subsections I faltered on.
Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 22:29
Hey Drogon,

A big drop in quant -- sometimes on the real test, you might be confident you had the right answer, but a small nuance in reading the question may have changed the whole question. So pay attention to small things like that.

Also, it is important to make sure you simulate real exam conditions. The same period of time for breaks. The same time of day. Your daily routine of breakfast food so you know whether you're in danger to go to the bathroom for breaks.

To improve quant, we recommend examining multiple variations off of the same core question type so you are prepared when the same kind of question is asked in a slightly different way.

If you are looking for more diversity in practice tests, we recommend that you try the GMAT Pill Practice Test here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... tice-test/

Best of luck!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Bill, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 2138 [0], given: 162

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 11:20
Hi Drogon,

You've already defined a couple of ways in which you were not properly preparing to face the Official GMAT (taking the CATs at home and skipping sections), so you really have to emphasize the 'realities' of Test Day in this next phase of your studies.

1) Did you end up purchasing the ESR?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Planning to Retake - First attempt at GMAT 610   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2015, 11:20