Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planning to retake GMAT..Need expert advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 29

Planning to retake GMAT..Need expert advice [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 13:49
GMAT Attempt 1 (14/09/2012)-- I took the GMAT today-- 650 (Q 49 V30). Extremely disappointed..Gutted !!

Profile-- Age 27, Indian-- IT engineer + MBA from IMT Gzb- Majors- Finance; Minors: Marketing (one of the top 15 MBA Institutes in India) including an exchange program from Euromed Marseille, France. Total 4 years of Banking work exp; current profile- Corporate Banking Mid Market Segment; 4 months of part time workexp with Teach India (NGO)..applying for Dual MBA Degree

Target Colleges: Columbia, Chicago Booth, NYU Stern, INSEAD, Yale; Will additionally apply to HSW and LBS if I get 740 +

Past Scores: MGMATs 680, 680, 700 on last 3 tests; GMAT Prep- 710, 750 (repeat test); Kaplan CD version- 570.

Strategy/ SWOT-- I am good in quant so was disappointed to see the score of 49..could not get time to attempt last 5-6 questions properly; took too much time on initial questions due to nerves, being overly cautious, deliberating on Qs..Found questions after 22-23 very different from those encountered earlier in topics such as Coordinate Geometry, functions etc. Could not attempt 1-2 questions; marked without solving

My main problem is the Verbal Section-- I am extremely slow; have practiced alot; including coaching classes from Jamboree. Adopted the strategy of attempting all questions on the GMAT by using the first instinct since my accuracy hovers around 72-78 percent irrespective of time spent on the practice papers/ questions done at home. Could attempt 39-40 Qs on the GMAT which was a huge surprise for me however, was shocked to see the score of 30 in the section.

In hindsight, I did not go into the details of the question and did not read them as carefully..concentrated too much on time mgmt..

Planning to retake the GMAT; need advice on prep timelines, Verbal Improvement Strategies..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1231

Kudos [?]: 3372 [0], given: 181

Re: Planning to retake GMAT..Need expert advice [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 18:54
Expert's post
Dear Anuj,

I would recommend that you try our course. We offer a very generous free trial. We are the only company in the world to provide a 4 point Verbal score improvement guarantee and we focus only on non natives. Attend our free session tomorrow to learn about the core skills you need to master to ace GMAT verbal. Below are some testimonials of students who were in your shoes and improved after taking our course.

1. Mahesh: Gave his GMAT 3 times, was unable to ace verbal during his first 2 attempts but improved in 10 days using our course. He is now studying at Babson. You can view his audio interview here
2. Satish: This guy improved by 14 points (Verbal 27 to 41) in 20 days. You can read his review here. His review is by the name thermacin.
3. Other than reviews, you can see a number of audio interviews here.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Re: Planning to retake GMAT..Need expert advice   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2012, 18:54