Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plans

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Plans [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 06:31
Hi,

- I am preparing for an MBA starting Fall 2007. I did from undergrad (First class with honors- engineering) from India and moved to the United States to do my M.S. (GPA = 4.0).
- I secured a job in the best company in my field. By the time I begin my MBA, I would have had 2 years experience
- I also have a very good internship experience (in the same company where I got my job)
- While in India I also started a web services (though I am a mechanical engineer) company of my own along with my friend just for the experience and it did very well
- I think I can get a 700+ GMAT score (I plan to take it mid-year 2006)
- Besides this there are quite a few things I can add to my resume: volunteer work, hobbies, academic acheivements

My concern is that since my work experience is limited, there isn't a substantial growth in my job profile... especially in a huge company, it is difficult to move up fast... how would this affect my chances?
I intend to apply to:
Wharton
Columbia
UCLA
Carnegie Mellon
Harvard (?)

What are my chances? Please let me know if there is any way I can improve my resume further or any additions required..
Thanks a lot!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 06:36
Also... I intend to major in finance/entrepreneurship. My plan to is work for two years post MBA and then return to India to expand and diversify my family business..

Thanks!
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 07:08
You have difficulty getting into those schools without more work experience. The best thing would probably to be get more work experience and make sure that you have some leadership roles.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 08:23
Thanks for your prompt reply. I had read somewhere that UCLA and Wharton have particularly started encouraging applicants with low or no work experience. Moreover, the average work experience at universities such as Carnegie Mellon and Stanford have reduced by a year or more. Is this a trend seen overall? Any takes on this? Would really appreciate your reply.

Thanks!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 19:12
Expert's post
You're absolutely right that this is a trend at some top schools. But, it's still a challenge to get in with just 2 yearsof work experience. We don't mean tobe discouraging... That's just the truth!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews