Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 14

Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:13) correct 37% (01:13) wrong based on 107 sessions
Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very little moisture. Desert X is an environment with constant, powerful sunlight, and almost no moisture. Although Plant Y thrives in the areas surrounding Desert X, it does not exist naturally in the desert, nor does it survive long when introduced there.

Which of the following, if true, would be most useful in explaining the apparent discrepancy above?

(A) Desert X’s climate is far too harsh for the animals that normally feed on Plant Y.
(B) For one week in the fall, Desert X gets consistent rainfall.
(C) The environment around Desert X is ideally suited to the needs of Plant Y.
(D) Due to the lack of sufficient moisture, Desert X can support very little plant life.
(E) Plant Y cannot survive in temperatures as high as those normally found in Desert X.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:E
I am stuck between B and E, how to rule out one.

I am facing such problem,getting stuck b/w two options, very frequently, can someone please suggest me how to get rid of it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 15 Jun 2013, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, added OA.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1268 [1] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
veenu08 wrote:

I am stuck between B and E, how to rule out one.

I am facing such problem,getting stuck b/w two options, very frequently, can someone please suggest me how to get rid of it

Hi Veenu08. I'm glad to help (in any way)

For your first question:

Analyze the stimulus:
Fact: Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very little moisture
Fact: Desert X is an environment with constant, powerful sunlight, and almost no moisture
Fact: But X does not exist naturally in the desert, nor does it survive long when introduced there

The question asks you to explain why plan Y does not EXIST in dessert Y.

Please see the RED parts. "Exist" does not mean "Thrive". For example: Y may exist in desert Y, but Y does not thrive. ==> B is wrong because B may lead to the result: Plan Y may exist, but does not thrive in desert X because one-week rainfall is just temporary condition and Desert X is an environment with constant, powerful sunlight, and almost no moisture.

E, however, clearly shows that plan Y cannot exist in desert X. Hence, E is correct.

For your second question:
I'm sorry buddy, but there's no shortcut. Please keep in mind, in real GMAT, you can eliminate 3 options very fast. The remaining two options, however, make it difficult to rule out one. Some common errors I can show you such as:
- reverse answer (if you read too fast, you can fall in this kind of trap)
- shell game (like this question). It changes enough to be attractive.
- Opposite answer (if you read too fast, you can fall in this kind of trap)
- Out of scope (needless to say, I'm sure you can eliminate this error very easy)

Hope that helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 23:46
Why is option C incorrect? isnt the stimulus talking about two factors here : powerful sunlight and no moisture...
Option D talks about lack of moisture and option E talks about high temperature. none of these options contain both of the factors...How is E correct?what is problem with C and D?

Kudos always encourages me

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1268 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 00:53
swati007 wrote:
Why is option C incorrect? isnt the stimulus talking about two factors here : powerful sunlight and no moisture...
Option D talks about lack of moisture and option E talks about high temperature. none of these options contain both of the factors...How is E correct?what is problem with C and D?

Hi swati007

This is RESOLVE THE PARADOX question.

The question asks you to explain:
Y thrives in environment (1) great sunlight and (2) very little moisture
Although Desert X has both (1) and (2), but why plan Y does not EXIST in dessert Y?

(C) The environment around Desert X is ideally suited to the needs of Plant Y.
C just says the environment around desert X is good for plant Y, ==> this is a fact in the stimulus. It does not explain why Y does not exist.

(D) Due to the lack of sufficient moisture, Desert X can support very little plant life.
Actually, Y can thrive in little moisture environment ==> The fact "Desert X can support very little plan life" does not help to explain why Y does not exist in desert X.

TAKEAWAY:

Wrong answers in "resolve the paradox"
(1) Restate facts in the stimulus
(2) Just explain one side of the paradox
(3) Just explain the similarities/differences between two sides

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 357

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 22:42
I found the options D and E very close and chose E over D but could someone explain why option D is incorrect.
The original premise says that Plant Y needs great sunlight and very little moisture and the option D does talk about that the Desert X contains almost no moisture.
Hence the plant Y cannot survive there as it needs at least some moisture which is non-existent in the Desert X.

Could someone help out here.
Re: Plant Y thrives in environments of great sunlight and very   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2013, 22:42