Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plateau-How to push forward? 560 to goal of 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Plateau-How to push forward? 560 to goal of 700 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 07:52
Hello Everyone,

I am a bit frustrated. I have been doing the readings and some practice problems for about 2 months now (went through the 9 week Manhattan Gmat Course and have done the asoociated readings and practice problems). About two weeks ago, I took my third practice test and scored a 530 (Q32 & V31). [Just to give some background, my first test with no knowledge or study preparation was 370 (I bombed the Quant but scored a 31 on verbal.)]. From two weeks ago until yeterday, I focused on working my weaknesses in quant and doing OG problems from around numbers 50-115. I kept track of the errors I have been making. I took my fourth practice test yesterday and was hoping to increase to at least a 600 since I spent a lot of time working the problems. I scored a 560 (Q35 V32). I really need some guidance as to where to go from here because I feel kind of like I hit a plateau meaning I already went back to make sure I understand the Quant basics, and I think a lot of it comes down to not only knowing the basics but timing and different strategies. I am still quite weak in word translations, and feel as though even with all the reviewing I did in this area, it did not help much.

Also, my Verbal score has remained virtually the same for the four exams I took. Around 31-32. With each exam however, I feel as though I am getting more difficult questions. This last exam I had a lot more 700-800 questions but what I find happening is that I spend more time of the harder questions, and do get them right, but then have to rush through the mid-end of the exam, causing me to have to guess on some and not even read the question. So I feel like timing is an issue. I am strongest in RC, followed by SC, and then CR and the average level of the questions I get right are 670-690. How can I begin to improve my verbal? I have went through all of the MGMAT books, Whiplash's CR guide and I have found a couple SC summaries provided by other Gmat club members. I am not sure if it is just a matter of working harder problems in the OG guide and doing timing drills to increase timing ability. I should also add that I have spent far much more time working Quant than verbal so I am wondering if I really work hard and focus on verbal now if I can push it to V46-49.

I would like your thoughts on how I can continue to improve my score. I have the test scheduled right now for May 14 but am thinking of pushing it back by 2-3 weeks. I want to score to get a 680-700. I am a hard work and am someone that will not give up. Lately however, I feel very defeated and frustrated.

Last edited by ebethke on 17 Apr 2011, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Plateau-How to push forward? 560 to goal of 700 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 09:58
It looks like some of us are in the same boat. I started studying at the beginning of March and took my first timed MGMAT practice test at the end of March and scored 480. The day after, I did MGMAT 2 and scored 580. The week after that, similar results, 490/570. Yesterday, I took GMATPrep 1 and got 580.

So far, I have only used disconnected parts of the MGMAT guides as well as the GMATClub toolkit. I'm probably not spending enough time analyzing the tests and focusing on weak spots. I also still need to cover SC RC CR from the OG question pool, as well as the hard DS questions.

After the 1st test, I'm planning on taking a Knewton course to boost my score to 680-700 if possible. This time I'll leave myself a gap of at least 3 months.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plateau-How to push forward? 560 to goal of 700 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 11:13
ebethke wrote:
Hello Everyone,
want to score to get a 680-700. I am a hard work and am someone that will not give up. Lately however, I feel very defeated and frustrated.

Focus is the key, keep working ... its just a phase!

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Plateau-How to push forward? 560 to goal of 700 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 14:00
Lots of people go through plateaus. The key is to not get down about it. Don't get discouraged. Keep on plugging and stay in a positive mindset. If you get down on yourself, your studying will suffer and it'll be harder to keep improving. Don't give up.

http://gmat.friedwires.com - Fried Wires GMAT Tips blog.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Plateau-How to push forward? 560 to goal of 700 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 18:41
Thank you for the encouragement. I am definitely trying my best. Does anyone have any strategies or pointers that may be helpful relating to the points I mentioned above? Or, other users posts that may be useful in looking at. Any guidance is definitely appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Plateau-How to push forward? 560 to goal of 700   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2011, 18:41