Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please advice [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 21:05
Hi,

My name is Martin and I'm from Argentina. I'm 28 years old and planning to apply on second round to start my MBA on september 2012.

I have a degree in Communication Science and I've got a 710 in gmat (Q48 V39).

Professional background: I've worked 10 months as a trainee in Loreal and then decided to get involved in my family's business , a construction and real estate developments company (actually is a group of companies) with more than 35 of history. This is my third year and I'm now the Marketing Director.
Since I got involved, the group grew in an amazing way, with 2 new organizations that were born and one more that will be launched in a few weeks. This last company will develop the first Hilton Gardenn Inn of my country and aims to start another 4 in the next year.
After the MBA, I'm planning to come back to my country to continue developing my business.

Extracurricular: I have played rugby since I was 10. I have represented my country (and my state) in the under 21 years old National Rugby Team. I still play in the most competitive rugby league of Argentina.

My dream is to be accepted at Harvard or Stanford, and I'm planning to apply to Chicago, MIT and Berkeley as well. How do you see my chances? Is it true that HBS and Stanford rarely admit students that are not coming from huge well known companies?

I appreciate your help

Regards

Martin
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please advice [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 07:02
Expert's post
Hello Martin, thanks for your question.

What is your undergraduate GPA?

I think your GMAT is solid, but of course it will be your experience that determines your competitiveness.

Why did you leave Loreal after only 10 months?

With a family business, you will have to clearly demonstrate your individual contribution. Call upon “moments” where you truly led by influencing others/organizations, drove tangible results, took the initiative. It sounds like some great things have happened with your business – connect that success to your individual effort.

In terms of extracurriculars, use your unique rugby experience to call out your leadership.

Harvard and Stanford will admit applicants that do not come from big companies. More importantly, in my opinion, is that applicants have a “wow” factor for those two programs. What makes you extraordinary? What sets you apart from the pack? I am not intimately familiar with your family business, but if you can paint a truly compelling picture of your experience and your vision of the future – if you can convey your “wow” factor – you could have a shot at those programs.

Best of luck!
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php