Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 09-28-2013
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please advice [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 12:07
Hi

I am looking at a 700+ score.. As i have a very average 65% in my engineering (electrical).

I have more than 68 months of experience in renewable energy sector (hydro projects). I joined my current organisation as a Graduate Engineer Trainee in Nov 2007 and have had three promotions since then ( now working as Sr. Executive, Projects). I have been a part of five successfully completed projects. Two of which i was the lead. I have three on site engineers reporting directly to me besides around 40 technicians / plant operators who report indirectly to me.

I am also involved with an NGO (one of the founding members) that works on creating awareness about renewable sources of energy and energy conservation in rural areas in Punjab (India). We have been involved in setting up of many family size bio gas plants in villages across Punjab. Recently we convinced the management of a Sikh religious shrine to install a solar cooking system and shifting from conventional LPG and fire wood.

Based on my profile... what are my chances of getting into a good B-school considering that i do manage to get a GMAT score upwards of 700..

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Please advice [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 23:38
Expert's post
So far things look pretty good, but let me ask you a few more questions:

1. How old are you? What is your gender?
2. What school did you graduate from? What was your GPA?
3. What are your post-MBA and long-term goals?
4. Do you have any significant extra-curricualrs or volunteer work?
5. What is the largest team you have ever managed?

If you answer these questions, I can start to advise you a bit better!

Looking forward to hearing from you

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 09-28-2013
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please advice [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 04:24
Thanks for your kind reply.

The answers to your queries are as under :

1. I am a 27 year old Male. (going to be 28 next month).
2. Graduated from Chandigarh Engineering College, Punjab, India. It is affiliated to Punjab Technical University. My percentage in B.Tech is 65.20%.
3. My post MBA goals would be to work in a reputed consultancy firm or a management level position in a company in the energy/power sector. My long term goals would include starting my own company somewhere down the line working in energy sphere. Because this is a field that holds a tremendous potential and there is a large market that still has to be tapped.
4. I do not have a significant extra curricular or volunteer work other than the NGO mentioned in the post above.
5. The largest team directly reporting to me has been 6 engineers.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Please advice [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 21:20
Expert's post
Hey there,
Thanks for the updates, sir... it helps out!

So, first of all, good luck on that test, and I really hope you can hit your target score. If you can hit a 700+, then I think your (approximate) "Sweet range" will lie somewhere in schools ranked 20-40 (US rankings, I mean). (PS. I would definitely suggest Rice as a target school, with their fantastic energy program and connections) You have a nice solid profile in terms of work experience, but your school is a bit unknown, your grades are somewhat middle of the road, and you come from one of the most competitive pools around.

The good thing is that pretty much any school will help you reach your goals, since all schools train you for management consulting. The only other thing I would suggest is to drop your goals of entrepreneurship. If you don't have PROVEN success as an entrepreneur, your dreams will sound like "pipe dreams" to the AdCom, so it is probably better if you can come up with alternate, "Safer" goals, even if they are more traditional (like moving up the hierarchy of an already established energy company)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!