Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
Re: Please advice from where should I start now.. [#permalink]
Kudos
That's what so great about gmatclub. You want a specific resource, you can find it by just doing a site search in the field box located on the top right of the screen.

You need combination/probability qtns? Here's a great post by a fellow member who has already compiled it for you. There are probably more posts but this is the first one I saw:

combinations-permutations-and-probability-references-56486.html

However, just don't get too hang up on solving difficult qtns like prob/permutation. Some tests don't even include one and in my own gmat experience I only had 1 qtn of this topic (was a mirror of a equiv 700-800 level qtn I encountered in a CAT). Your 48 Quant score suggests that you're making mistakes (prob careless ones as well) on some of the more basic topics. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE, you can solve all 600 level qtns with a snap of the finger accurately and quickly. That way, even if you do get the "tougher" qtns like prob/perm and DS inequalities (may be just me that finds this insanely tricky) wrong, you can still have a strong chance of getting a 50.

Also, there are data sufficiency banks, but again, focus on a specific topic of DS qtns that you have difficulty with. Don't do DS on algebra, geometry et all in a bunch because it won't help you as much as focusing on your weak areas. Remember, the vast majority of test takers are weak in DS, so don't fret even if you get a lot of tougher ones wrong. Remember, a Quant 50 is achievable with even as many as 7-9 qtns wrong depending on the difficulty level of the test. That's one in 4 to 5qtns. WHATEVER U DO DON'T PANIC!!!

I can't really help you in RCs as I was lucky that I never had problems with that area, but again, try to improve your reading skills. You had the right idea in reading the newspaper until you stopped. RC is all about constant practice and there are other posts about how to best improve. Again, that search field in the top right corner? USE IT. Also, no replacement for constant practice. Eating lunch, read a periodical. Taking the bus/train to work, read the economist. Using the toilet for #2, perfect time to read an english newspaper. :) Don't just read. Scan 3 paragraphs as quickly as you can, then ask yourself if you know what the main points for each paragraph is.

AWA is easy to improve. Memorize templates that are already in this site (again, search field in corner). A great one is written by Chineseburn. He practically gives you the outline to write 50% of the response for the "argument" essay. Its especially helpful given 30 minutes is not alot of time for you to think about content AND worry about formatting. I stuck to it and while I haven't received my AWA scores yet, I am confident that because of them, I can easily get a 5.5 or 6. If you stick to the format, even if you make some errors due to not being a native speaker, a 5.0 is likely attainable. The way you write in your posts does not reveal you to be a non native speaker so 5.5 or 6 is prob within reach.

Oops, apologies, just assumed you were a dude, didn't realize you were a dudette. :) Ah, it helps that you're a woman since less of your fair sex are in the applicant pool. But still, you are in a highly competitive demographic. Remember, you are competing with all your girl friends from the top schools in India who are interested in an MBA. I'm not familiar with the Indian culture to know if many woman do apply to biz school but if they do, think how competitive you are in terms of them and you should have an idea where you stand. Chinese and Korean and other East Asian females face a very competitive environment so I would probably assume that it would be the same for their Indian counterparts (same importance placed on education excellence culturally, more so than the west. Though it may sound a bit racist, but there IS a reason for the stereotype).

Again good luck. If your Quant is strong, and you work hard on verbal (not just spending the hours but studying efficiently), its very possible for you to break 700. Remember to study "correctly." The reason why so many smart people prep for 3 months intensively and still get a 600 or 500 score is because they approached "studying" for the GMAT in an utterly inefficient and unorganized manner.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your guidance and extremely valuable suggestions. I have started preparing once again and I will see if I can take up a CAT today. If I take a test today, I shall post the scores section-wise.
GMAT Club Bot