Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Advice it is Urgent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please Advice it is Urgent [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 23:49
My Brother did his Mechanical Engineering and then Worked for Shipping company for 5+ years as a 3rd Enginner and has handled and managed a group people under his leadership and Performed exceptinally well and achivied Outstanding sucess in a very short time.

He wishes to go for MBA finance in USA/UK for fall of 2007 and secured a GMAT score of 675.I wish to know in which Business Schools he must apply.Though he has already applied in some college.

I am worried for my elder brother.

Can Anybody help me out in this matter and suggest some Universities where he is definite to get admission for this fall 2007
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Advice it is Urgent [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 05:53
enigmaenigma wrote:
My Brother did his Mechanical Engineering and then Worked for Shipping company for 5+ years as a 3rd Enginner and has handled and managed a group people under his leadership and Performed exceptinally well and achivied Outstanding sucess in a very short time.

He wishes to go for MBA finance in USA/UK for fall of 2007 and secured a GMAT score of 675.I wish to know in which Business Schools he must apply.Though he has already applied in some college.

Can Anybody help me out in this matter and suggest some Universities where he is definite to get admission for this fall 2007

How can he score 675 in GMAT?!?!?! Pls clarify and we will be happy to help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 12:30
For the fall of '07 its probably a little late to apply anywhere. Considering the applications are usually pretty intensive and most dates for applications have gone by.

A 3rd engineer...and I thought I would be the only licensed marine engineer around. If he doesn't end up attending in 2007 tell your brother he should upgrade his license if he has the sea time. I graduated in 2002 with my 3rds and most of my friends from school who have shipped out for 5 years now are 1st or chief engineers. If anyone in the admissions office understands the license structure they will see the hire the rating as an indication of more leadership responsibility.

I am sure he has some interesting subject matter to write about in his essays which is good. Plus its a rather unique background and really can look good to admins judging from some of the alumni from my school. I know several who have gone to HBS, GSB, and a few other top schools. A few who I have talked to said that they all made big impressions during interviews with schools and later with companies.

Good Luck.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Advice it is Urgent [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2007, 11:59
enigmaenigma wrote:

Enigmaenigma,

Riverripper's advice to you is good. I also agree that it's a bit late for fall 2007, especially if you are looking for schools where he is *certain* to get in. That's a tall order at this stage of the game. Given his goals, his GMAT, and the (little) info you posted about him, I would recommend the following programs (ranked highly in finance) as places where he has a good shot at admission (assuming no huge weaknesses in his application):

--Indiana (Kelley)
--Florida (Warrington)
--Boston College
--UNC (Kenan-Flagler)

If you want schools where he will "definitely" get in, you will need to look much lower on the list. I also recommend that he wait and apply in the fall to improve his odds.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 08:48
riverripper wrote:

A 3rd engineer...and I thought I would be the only licensed marine engineer around. If he doesn't end up attending in 2007 tell your brother he should upgrade his license if he has the sea time. I graduated in 2002 with my 3rds and most of my friends from school who have shipped out for 5 years now are 1st or chief engineers.
Good Luck.

Whoa! Riverriper, I knew you were in the merchant marines but didnt know you were a 3rd too :o ( like me). But yeah, that was in a different life :) . I have taken up entrepreneurship for the past one year ever since I quit the sea. Most of my friends are 2nds now.