Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Advice - MS finance app

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Please Advice - MS finance app [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 07:38
Dear all,

I hope you are doing very well. Please advise me upon my application.
I have selected three universities which are Singapore management, Hongkong university of science and tech, Chinese university
of hongkong. I have GPA of 2.7 in bachelors in finance from a recognized business school in Asia. I plan to give the GMAT by the end
of feburary so that i may have sufficient time to score . I am targeting 650+ . Please advise that what minimum gmat score
should i target so as to make my app stronger to these schools.?
Another scenario is that since i am currently doing a full time job in a local commercial bank. i would really like to
give the best of my efforts to get a good gmat score. In the longer run i want to move towards global investment research
whether its FX, commodities or equities. the schools' applications deadlines are at the end of feburary . i really want to give the
best effort toget a good the gmat score and get the admission . But i may have to resign from the job to get sufficient time
to study for gmat. do you think i should take the risk of leaving the job and give time to gmat so as to get the admission in
my university to complete my MS?.
looking forward for you kind advise.
kind regards
ali
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [2] , given: 29

Re: Please Advice - MS finance app [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
I am not sure what those schools require, but for top programs, you would either be disqualified because of your GPA or need a very high GMAT to make up for it. I would not advise you to target any score. Just study as hard and much as you can and do well. If a school requires a 650, for example, scoring a 700 would not hurt, only help. On the other hand, if you only study enough for a 650, you may very well score below that.

I would not leave your job. What if you quit your job, score poorly on the GMAT, and do not get into any of your target programs? That is a pretty big risk to take.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: Please Advice - MS finance app [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 10:28
commdiver wrote:
I am not sure what those schools require, but for top programs, you would either be disqualified because of your GPA or need a very high GMAT to make up for it. I would not advise you to target any score. Just study as hard and much as you can and do well. If a school requires a 650, for example, scoring a 700 would not hurt, only help. On the other hand, if you only study enough for a 650, you may very well score below that.

I would not leave your job. What if you quit your job, score poorly on the GMAT, and do not get into any of your target programs? That is a pretty big risk to take.

THANKS
I would like others to also please add their advice. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Please Advice - MS finance app [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 20:25
Hi Ali,
In my opinion, you should not quit your job. These are tough times and one should be fortunate enough to have a job. You may need to plan your schedule to study for the GMAT. It is never too late. You can always target the next intake if not the current one. In the meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt to start studying a little for the GMAT now and learn a bit of Chinese as well if you want to go to Hong Kong .

Best regards
Kartik
Re: Please Advice - MS finance app   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2013, 20:25