Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please advise me!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Please advise me! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 15:25
All -

Ok, so here is my profile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) 710 GMAT 46V 41Q 6.0 AWA (first try, never took a practice test).

2) B.S. Business - State School; 3.2 Undergrad GPA (3.7 Major); Worked 30 - 35 hrs/wk in school; Fraternity member; Numerous community service projects.

3) 6+ years of work experience in real estate - specifically student housing. Experience in public and private sectors, promoted several times, went from entry level to top manager in company quickly. Lots of recognition, awards, etc. in large private company. Quick success, great letters of recommendation from both Universities and private company. Much of my work experience has revolved around quantitative analysis (forecasting, market analysis, budget development and oversight) which could help off-set the skewed GMAT score.

4) 29 year old white guy. Grew up in farm family, parents do not have college education. Have always supported myself; paid for education, paid to study abroad and learn Spanish / Intl. Business. Unique experiences moving from place to place with company doing internal consulting, due dilligence, marketing, etc.

5) I have worked in privatized student housing and learned much about the operations, acquisition, and financing of existing properties. I then moved to the public sector to gain experience in development of new housing from the public angle. I want to go to a top MBA program to network and find individuals to eventually begin a student housing company.

I currently live in SoCal and am looking at the big schools in the area first (UCLA, USC, UCI Merage), but I am also interested in branching out (Haas, Stanford, Kellogg, Wharton, Ross, Booth, Stern). What do my chances look like for these programs? Would I be more suited for a lower tier program? Any suggestions? Any advice would certainly help. Thank you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Please advise me! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 07:53
Expert's post
Hello ttreads, thanks for your question.

Your GPA is slightly on the low side, but not a significant challenge. Your overall GMAT is fine, but I worry a bit about the quantitative score. I typically recommend 80% on each side for the top programs. If you did not prep and that was your first try, I would think you could raise that score.

I think you have a compelling story, and after all, your competitiveness will come down to the quality of your leadership experience in and out of work – more than your current GMAT score. To the degree that you can you draw upon “moments” when you truly led – influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative – you will make yourself more competitive.

In terms of your post-MBA goals, paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. I think your real estate experience ties in nicely with your future goals; that story seems logical. But, you will also need to demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. Couldn’t you make that transition without an MBA, since you have industry experience and analytical skills? How exactly will an MBA help you? You will need to address that question.

If you can improve that GMAT quantitative score, I think you’d have a shot at all the SoCal schools and could reach for more. I think Stanford and Wharton are bigger reaches, but that doesn’t mean don’t give it a shot! Your GMAT and experience could put you in play.

Best of luck!
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php