Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellog,Georgetown,OSU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 13:22
Hi,

I am planning to apply for only 3 schools next year(2011). I have many weakness, I think, compared to other applicants.

First, I am 31 yrs old
Second, my GPA is not that good(2.3)
Third, I took GMAT but it wasn't that good either(around 600) so I will retake it.

My working experience is about 3 years as an accounting manager in IT company
Also, I have been tutoring Math and Finance to all ages supported by a tutoring company since 2009. I had to participate in Marine for 2yrs and then switched undergraduate school from one in Korea to Bowling Green State university in Ohio in 2003. I think I have a plenty of activities during my college years. I was a member of finanace society, also a memeber of business fraternity, a TaeKwondo instructor, manager at a local restaurant (as part time), public officer of chinese School, registered in 2003 national dean's list, a president of Korean student association in Bowling Green. I have also life and health insurance license in Ohio.

My dream school is Duke(Fuqua) and since I live in DC area, I am also interested in Georgetown and U of MD. Do you think what part should I improve before I apply for those schools?

I really appreciate your help in advance.

Last edited by bgrocker79 on 10 Feb 2010, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 20:32
Hi,

Yup. I'd agree with your self-evaluation on the GMAT part. If you are looking at Duke, you'd need a much better score.

Your extra-curriculars are diverse and strong (incidentally I was a Taekwondo student too...aah the good ol' days).

My main concern is on the professional side. You haven't shared much there. You'll need to demonstrate a balance between personal, professional and academic aspects. Right now it's heavily skewed towards extra-currics.

Also, any specific reason why your aren't looking at more than 3 schools? There may be a lot of other good schools you aren't considering.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Last edited by MBACrystalBall on 17 Feb 2010, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 05:24
Hi,

Yup. I'd agree with your self-evaluation on the GMAT part. If you are looking at Duke, you'd need a much better score.

Your extra-curriculars are diverse and strong (incidentally I was a Taekwondo student too...aah the good ol' days).

My main concern is on the professional side. You haven't shared much there. You'll need to demonstrate a balance between personal, professional and academic aspects. Right now it's heavily skewed towards extra-currics.

Also, any specific reason why your aren't looking at more than 3 schools? There may be a lot of other good schools you aren't considering.

Sameer

The MBA Crystal Ball

Thank you!! Sameer.

I really appreciate your thought on my post. I am sure that I should improve my GMAT score. No doubt. On the professional side, I am not sure what piece of info I should mention. Well, maybe my experience from Delta Sigma Pi(business fraternity) at college could be one good example.

I was an instructor not a student :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 20:01
>> Do you think what part should I improve before I apply for those schools?

The low GMAT + low GPA combo isn't working. So a higher GMAT is an absolute necessity. Plus if you could take a few courses and do exceedingly well in them, you can partially address any concerns adcoms might have on the academic side.

On the work front, as an accounting manager, what have you done in the last 3 years that's noteworthy. Dig out stories that go beyond what a role like this entails. Have you been involved in other initiatives that have had a positive impact on your organization?

>> My dream school is Duke(Fuqua) and since I live in DC area, I am also interested in Georgetown and U of MD

Assuming your new GMAT score would be around 700, Fuqua would be a Stretch-to-Ambitious school for you. Georgetown and Univ of Maryland could be within reach if you submit a good application.

If you want to stay in D.C. you could also look at George Washington Univ, Howard or American Univ where you have a much better chance that the 3 schools you've shortlisted. But the flip side is, they aren't as reputed as those in your list.

If you are willing to look at schools outside the US, European schools might be an option.

The average age of candidates in these schools is higher. However they also have much more experience that yours. Check out IE, ESADE, Eramus RSM, SDA Bocconi. All practical schools for you (with an improved GMAT score).

>> I was an instructor not a student

Apologies, Master (Gyeong rye/Bow). I will now try to earn back your respect by demonstrating my yop chagi and dollyo chagi skills. I'll start off by breaking 3 boards, 4 blocks of ice and 5 egos...Kiaaaaii.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Last edited by MBACrystalBall on 17 Feb 2010, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 22:46
Ok. First of all, I will take your apology :-D

I understand that low GMAT and low GPA don't help me to get into my ideal school. I am sure that I possibly get GMAT around 700 since well. in practice tests, I got around 700 a few times. But in reality, I failed.

Assuming that I will get 700 within next few months (but higher GMAT doesnt guarantee to be accepted, correct?), I should tell my post graduation story well.

I graduated in 2007 summer and sought a job around Ohio but it wasn't that easy to find one. So I turned my eyes to sales industry. I studied and got an insurance license. After 3 months from graduation, I started to work with New York Life as financial representative. I worked there about 5 months and resigned because I realized that I need some stable income rather that something based on my perfomance. And You might not be able to understand but as an immigrant who didn't have any relatives or any family members, starting sales business is not as easy as you wish. Basically, I had to find another job to bring home a bacon. Thus, I started to sub at Elementary school and middle school to teach math and also tutor Korean students.

I could see that this didn't have much vision so decided to move to DC area and got this current job. When they hired me, they intended to raise me as their one sub company CFO. So basically I have been learning not only accounting systmes, but also all the contracts and work flow of that company in a very short time. Right now I am working for two different company. I am account payable staff memeber for the "mother" company, but for that "child" company, I am an accounting manager(well, I can say controller). My job is basically to lessen the president financial loads by helping her all tax or other contract issue with Goverment.

The funny thing is accounting classes I took at the college mostly hurt my GPA even though it was one of my major. But another major which was Finance, I did
excellent.So do you think taking accounting classes now will help my application?

I am not much interested in those schools you suggested(sorry) and international schools--No No I have had enouch experience as an exchage student. I want to stay here. Again, thank you so much for your reply.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 04:03
See? All the interesting stories are coming out now, after a little prodding.

>> raise me as their one sub company CFO...
>> I have been learning not only accounting systmes, but also all the contracts and work flow of that company...

CFO material. Wide experience across multiple domains. The stuggle story is also something you can talk about. It shows perserverence and grit.

>> do you think taking accounting classes now will help my application?

Yes, they will. It'll help address the ironic situation (doing very well in your job in an area where you scored the least) and prove that this is not your Achilles' heel.

>> I am not much interested in those schools you suggested(sorry) and international schools

You don't have to be sorry, buddy. Considering you had Duke on your list, I knew you wouldn't be too keen on jumping to the other end of the spectrum. But as you spoke about wanting to be in D.C. (gotta love the free museums), I thought I should mention these options anyway.
So options considered, evaluated and rejected. Let's move on.

>> in practice tests, I got around 700 a few times. But in reality, I failed.

It happens to the best of guys. So don't take it too hard. Just go and give it another shot.

Good luck. Come back here and let us know when you get your new score.

Re: Please advise me, please!! (Duke University/Georgetown)   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2010, 04:03