Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please advise - Planning to take GMAT on Wednesday, Oct 5th

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Please advise - Planning to take GMAT on Wednesday, Oct 5th [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 09:12
Hi all,

Need some advice. Here are my test scores:
---------------------------------------------------------
Manhattan 1 Sep 10th 690 Q49, V36
Manhattan 2 Sep 17th 730Q48, V42
GMAT Prep 1 Sep 24th 720 Q51, V36
GMAT Prep 2 Sep 27th 680 Q51,V29
GMAT Prep 1 (repeat) Oct 1st 770 Q51, V44

** There were 4 repeats in Verbal (I did not know the answers) & I don't care about repeats in Quant as I have been consistently hitting in 49+ range.

I am planning to take GMAT on Oct 5th. Considering the final GMATPrep2 score (680), I am bit concerned about how I will perform in Verbal. The nerves got on me during GMATPrep2 & I was really disappointed after seeing V29. I am not bad at verbal (80% hit rate is CR, 90% in SC, 80% in RC) but I have not been able to control my nerves in the recent tests. Perhaps I need to practice more!

Considering my verbal scores, shall I postpone the date by a week or so and practice more or I am good to go on Oct 5th? My target is to get at least 700 score.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please advise - Planning to take GMAT on Wednesday, Oct 5th [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 09:42
In my opinion - if outside of the exam atmosphere your verbal scores is good, than there is no doubt that going into the exam when you are nervous and getting v29 instead of v40 its a mistake.

Why are you so nervous at home? why do you make more mistakes under time pressure? is it only your ability to work under pressure or do you solve the questions in a wrong way that consumes too much time and make you make more mistakes?

I believe that unless you have time limits - postponing will not be a mistake. If you will do it now, before you practiced enough the exam environment and receive a lower grade than you are looking for - you will have to wait another month in order to take it again.

On the other hand - do you have the tools to "kill" the verbal problems?

It is important for you to have a complete debrief on why the v29. and how you can fix it.

bottom line - you are the only one that can answer the question you asked. You know yourself better than anyone else and you know whats your weaknesses. You should postponed if you really believe you can change something. Postponing with no real goals or path is just a waste of time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please advise - Planning to take GMAT on Wednesday, Oct 5th [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 15:27
In any case, isn't it too late to postpone your exam now without losing your exam fee?
Re: Please advise - Planning to take GMAT on Wednesday, Oct 5th   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2011, 15:27