Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please advise- Thanks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 60

Please advise- Thanks [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 21:22
Hi,

Could you please help me short-list schools that I should apply to for the MBA program?

My profile:
- 2006: Graduated with an honors degree in Economics from India (Delhi University). Even though I scored only 57% in my graduation, but based on my university results it was easily in the top 20%. Not too sure how I will get my university to say this but will try my best. (so, this is a definite red on my app)
- 2006-2008: After my graduation, I joined a leading rating agency (of the world) in Delhi and worked in their Private equity advisory team for 2 years as an associate.
- After spending two years in that role, I wanted to transition to I-Banking.
- 2008: And then, I joined a graduate internship program in London with a leading Swiss Investment Bank in London.
- 2009: I got very good recommendations from my internship but since the Visa rules in the United Kingdom were very stringent at that time, I was offered a role by the bank in their off-shored division in Shanghai (with a third party vendor which is a billion dollar NYSE listed firm that runs close to 300 head counts in middle office for the bank) as a Senior analyst. Was promoted last month to a team lead and now I manage a team of 6 middle office analysts.
- So, my total work experience till September 2012: 5 years (2 years in India, 1 year in London, and 2 in Shanghai).
- I wrote the GMAT exam yesterday and scored a 710. (80+ percentile in both sections) I also speak 4 languages including Hindi (Indian), Chinese and English

From my MBA, I am looking to enhance my knowledge in Finance and would ideally like to move to a more market or product facing role as opposed to my current operations oriented role. I am happy to work in any country after my MBA.

Schools that look good based on average GMAT scores: MIT (dream), Duke, Cornell, Tepper, Mcgill (Canada). Also looking at LBS, Insead, HKUST and Cambridge.
For safer options, I am also planning to apply to Emory and NTU (Singapore).

Please feel free to ask me any more questions.

Thanks a lot.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 600 [0], given: 30

Re: Please advise- Thanks [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 10:32
Expert's post
Hey air!
So I do like what I see. You do have that black mark of your grades on your profile, but from then on it seemed that things have been on the up and up. Managing a team of six is wonderful.

I think we can easily build a "comeback story" profile for you.
As for your schools choice, you seem to have chosen a good mix of schools. I think Johnson is your sweet spot and it is a wonderful program for your background. MIT will be tough, but totally go for it. If you wanted to add another tough school I would think about Chicago, and another medium tough would be NYU Stern, which fits you preeeeetty darn well.

Let us know if you have any other Qs

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!