Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please assess my profile for application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Please assess my profile for application [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2005, 18:28
Hi Scott and Omari,

Please review my profile. Your opinion is very much appreciated. I am applying for admission in 2006 for top 15 programs. Specific dream schools are Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Duke, Columbia, UCLA, and Michigan

GMAT - 720 (46 in Quant and 44 in Verbal) and 6.0 in AWA on my second attempt.

I received my undergrad degree in History from Georgetown with a 3.2GPA. Then I received a fellowship sponsored by Georgetown and National Chengchi University (one of the top school in Taiwan) to do non-degree grad study in International Trade for a year. 85/100 for grade with an average of 80 being the cut off for an A.

5 years of working experience in Asia (Hong Kong, China, Singapore) in banking and strategy consulting. Last job in HK was a failed Internet venture.

After one year off to study advanced level Chinese and volunteer work, I moved back to the US. 2 years in capital markets operations and now working as a trading assistant on a derivatives trading desk at a major bank.

During my undergrad and grad studies times, I work part-time jobs and had various internships (US Agency of Int’l Development, C-SPAN, and an investment bank).

When I was in Hong Kong, I was the club treasurer for the GU Club in Hong Kong for more than 3 years. I also volunteer for an elderly-focused organization that managed out-reach program during my unemployment period. I am currently volunteering as a tutor for children who are affected by HIV (themselves or families). My new role is to function as a trainer for new volunteer tutors.

My goal for MBA is to focus on international business and finance. My career goal is to return to the bank Sales and Trading program for a few years and start my investment firm. This is the right time for school as I want to be in an associate program.

My concerns are
1) my age and change in location/career, which hurts my title
2) relatively low GPA from a top school in the US
3) GMAT heavily strong in Verbal (as a non-native speaker). I did took a calculas class last year (to compensate for my D in Stats in college)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 05:41
Expert's post
I would say that you have a strong profile. Schools will no doubt notice your extensive international experience and your community involvement, which will help a lot.

You mentioned your age... Do you mean that you're concerned that you're starting to reach the upper end of the typical age range for MBA admits? You didn't mention your age, but from adding up your work experience, I'm guessing that you are a little older than the typical applicant. This is okay. As long as you can credibly answer the "Why an MBA? Why now?" questions, you'll be fine. It sounds like you know why you want to go to school and have a realistic view on what you'll do with an MBA once you graduate.

Your GPA is a little low, like you said, but it's good that you took the calculus course. I wouldn't worry too much about your GMAT quant score. It's good enough to get you into those schools, and your calculus class (assuming that you did well in it) will help show that you're serious about doing well in this area.

You sound like an interesting candidate, which is what schools are looking for! Don't obsess over your weaknesses. Address them, but move on and spend the bulk of your time showing what you can bring to your class with your unique experiences.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 19:42
quixx23 wrote:
I would say that you have a strong profile. Schools will no doubt notice your extensive international experience and your community involvement, which will help a lot.

You mentioned your age... Do you mean that you're concerned that you're starting to reach the upper end of the typical age range for MBA admits? You didn't mention your age, but from adding up your work experience, I'm guessing that you are a little older than the typical applicant. This is okay. As long as you can credibly answer the "Why an MBA? Why now?" questions, you'll be fine. It sounds like you know why you want to go to school and have a realistic view on what you'll do with an MBA once you graduate.

Your GPA is a little low, like you said, but it's good that you took the calculus course. I wouldn't worry too much about your GMAT quant score. It's good enough to get you into those schools, and your calculus class (assuming that you did well in it) will help show that you're serious about doing well in this area.

You sound like an interesting candidate, which is what schools are looking for! Don't obsess over your weaknesses. Address them, but move on and spend the bulk of your time showing what you can bring to your class with your unique experiences.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your feedback. I want to provide you with additional info

I am 32 now and will be 33 by the time of enrollment. AFter my 5 years working in Asia and then I year off, I planned to work at least 3 years before returning my MBA. The combo of location and experience will equip me with true global experience. Also, I want to learn more advanced quant skills in a classroom setting... I guess that is why I am on the upper range of any class.

1) among the top 20 programs, which one of them are more receptive to people my background
2) Someone told me that US program tend to look at undergrad grade only (grad grade only as reference). Is this the case.
3) I took a Calculas course last year and got an A. I hope that will compensate for my D.
4) how much of a realistic shoot do I have for top 10 or even top 5 program. I do think my background is interesting but not sure if that will count at the end.

Thanks.....
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 15:30
Expert's post
I honestly think that all of the top programs would be receptive to someone with your background. Or, put another way, I can't think of any schools that wouldn't like someone with your background. But, if you want to do finance, if I were you I would start with the schools that are best known for finance, such as Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, and Stern. Overall, I recommend thinking of schools in terms of what you want to do with an MBA, rather than in terms of what you've done in the past.

Regarding your other questions:

- No, schools will look at all of your grades. The fact that you got an A in the calculus class will certainly help in terms of showing that you have the dedication to do better in school now.

- If I were you, I'd apply to a couple of top 5/10 school and a couple of top 20 schools. A unique background ABSOLUTELY counts for a lot with these schools, much more than a high GPA. There are thousands of applicants with high GPAs. What makes you unique is much more valuable.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2005, 07:02
Thank you Scott. Your comment is wonderful. I understand that some school tend to have a class of younger students (like HBS) while others are more receptive to older candidates. Should this be a consideration for my school list.

Thanks again.

quixx23 wrote:
I honestly think that all of the top programs would be receptive to someone with your background. Or, put another way, I can't think of any schools that wouldn't like someone with your background. But, if you want to do finance, if I were you I would start with the schools that are best known for finance, such as Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, and Stern. Overall, I recommend thinking of schools in terms of what you want to do with an MBA, rather than in terms of what you've done in the past.

Regarding your other questions:

- No, schools will look at all of your grades. The fact that you got an A in the calculus class will certainly help in terms of showing that you have the dedication to do better in school now.

- If I were you, I'd apply to a couple of top 5/10 school and a couple of top 20 schools. A unique background ABSOLUTELY counts for a lot with these schools, much more than a high GPA. There are thousands of applicants with high GPAs. What makes you unique is much more valuable.

Scott
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2005, 07:14
Expert's post
In terms of age, we usually advise applicants to think about age when they're very young. If you were very young, I would recommend that you consider schools that are more receptive to younger applicants, like Stanford and HBS supposedly are these days. But, the reverse isn't necessarily true... If you're in your 30's, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply to these schools. It's safe to assume that there will be a lot of 33-year-olds starting at HBS next year!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2006, 13:04
Scott,

Thanks for you advise. I think many of us (me definitely) benefit from you insight. I will update you on my situation when I have more results.

Patrick

quixx23 wrote:
In terms of age, we usually advise applicants to think about age when they're very young. If you were very young, I would recommend that you consider schools that are more receptive to younger applicants, like Stanford and HBS supposedly are these days. But, the reverse isn't necessarily true... If you're in your 30's, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply to these schools. It's safe to assume that there will be a lot of 33-year-olds starting at HBS next year!

Scott