Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please check my profile!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Please check my profile! [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 21:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Before I start, I applied the same format as the previous person who asked for profile evaluation. I hope this doesn't bother anyone.. So...

Thanks in advance for taking the time to evaluate my profile. Could you possibly
(1) Evaluate my profile along with my chances at schools targeted?
(2) Suggest some areas to improve on before applying and some other schools to consider?

For reference, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2013 matriculation.

Area of interest: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Education- Top 25 US liberal arts college Major: Economics Minor: Math/Stats GPA 3.49 GPA is trending upward(avg GPA during my freshman/sophomore was ~3.2 wheras the one during my junior/senior was ~3.7)

Expect to earn CFA charter this December.

GMAT- 710 (Q: 49, V:39(Not sure), AWA: 4.5) -this is my second attempt and 1.5 month before that i scored 640(positive sign of improvement?)

Work Experience: Current Position is as Investment Analyst(2.5yrs in a local investment management firm( Assets under management ~30 Billion). Two years as an investment accountant at the same firm. 2yrs of Military experience.

ECs:
Undergrad
-Men's choir
-Asian Students Association
-Intramural sports

Post grad
-Church choir
-Small group leader
-Elected Staff member
-Few other voluntary works

Others: East Asian but have grew up in total of 5 different countries(if that's of any positive)

Target Schools: Wharton, MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, Yale, UCLA, Cornell

Post MBA: Continue to pursue finance possibly in a global finance company at Wallstreet
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Please check my profile! [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 07:45
I'm guessing that given your mandatory military service you are either Singaporean, Korean or Taiwanese?

Anyhow, at this point all you can do is focus on doing the best you can on the application. You can't really fundamentally change who you are in just a few months without it looking like window dressing.

Focus on a range of schools where you have a more reasonable shot of getting into that still suits your career goals:

Stretch: Booth, Columbia
Sweet spot: NYU, Cornell, Yale

Focus on these five schools (all of which have strong finance recruiting and/or a larger proportion of the class interested in finance).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Please check my profile! [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 10:32
Thank you for the evaluation! Yes, i am a korean :) For the schools you listed, i do know they are strong in finance but are any of them within reasonable reach with my given profile? To me, all these schools are one of my dream schools to get into and i have been putting little expectations. But you did put it as if they were reasonable, which was a bit of surprise to me. How much of stretch are the 'stretch' schools and how much sweet spots are the 'sweet spot' schools in terms of chances? Also, I have a question on the schools you've not included that initially was on my list of possible schools: wharton, mit, dartmouth, duke, ucla. If you disregard the fact i wanted to pursue finance, which category would you put each of them. For schools like wharton and mit, they would be considered 'beyond reach'? One more question to you is that should i take gmat again to possibly increase 20~30points? Would that affect anything? Thank you in advance!
Re: Please check my profile!   [#permalink] 03 May 2012, 10:32